Friday, October 08, 2004

Power Of The Features

As some of you may know, I’m a great admirer of the works of Charles and Ray Eames. There was a pleasant surprise in my inbox this morning from the Eames office.

“As we do every year on October 10th, the Eames Office will webcast the classic Eames film, Powers of Ten, for free all day. Please tell your friends and the kids in your life, co-workers and schools, the whole gamut. If you are on this list, you have probably seen the film so I don't need to tell you how great it is. But I think just sending the link powersoften. to a friend is a real fun thing to do.”

If you’ve never seen this short film, I highly recommend it. Charles and Ray were not only about furniture design.

Now to talk about the exponential powers of the Features: the Features are a band that began in the small town humdrum life of Sparta, Tennessee. It’s about the last place one would look for great rock and roll, but somehow the atmosphere generated these future Mtv buzz cuts.

Memories lay submerged deep within the bowl of Soulfish Stew, but it doesn’t take a very heavy spoon stirring to bring them to the surface. I saw the Features for the first time around 1994 at now legendary club, The ‘Boro on a double bill with the Roaries. They were both about to be or were already label mates at Spongebath Records. My friend, Andrew Conley, of the incredible group jack, had recommended I come see them describing them as a young Pavement from Sparta.

The Roaries opened and I really enjoyed their set. They were tuneful, but tough, and probably the closest I’ve ever come to seeing a Murfreesboro, Tennessee group play power pop. The Features seemed more studied in their set. I could see some Pavement in their music, but they seemed quirkier. I just couldn’t get why Andrew was such a true believer in them. I didn’t dislike them, but the spark that has since caught fire was dim to me then.

The Features kept playing and their sound got better. They kept the quirks and shined their songs to pristine new wave era sheen. They’ve toured and they’ve practiced and received acclaim in England. Spongebath Records bubbled under, but the Features never gave up. Their current major label release could make them stars. So if you want some honest art crafted with love by some cats that began in a town in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee, please help support them and buy their CD. Visit their website to learn all about them. The site includes song samples. No matter how big they get, I’ll bet I’ll still bump into their front man, Matt Pelham, at the Salvation Army thrift store and he’ll still be nice enough to say hi.

Another once “a small town rocker” story hits the Mercy Lounge in Nashville tonight as former Smithville, Tennessee homeboy Brian Malone leads the supercharged garage rock band the 45’s in what I’m sure will be a killer performance opening for the Drive By Truckers.

No comments: