Monday, November 08, 2004

Bloggin' Ain't Easy

When I started this blog a few months back I figured it would be easy. Words would flow from my mind with ease and they would be the sort of words that I would be proud to see snared in the ever growing web. But bloggin’ ain’t easy, especially when you don’t have a connection to the net at home. There’s my excuse to the fits and starts I’ve took since the beginning. There’s also the matter of the content. Which direction do I take? Should this stew be a mere link filled guide to the pop culture I enjoy? Should this spot be the journal (men don’t keep diaries) of my days? Is it selfish of me to even want others to read my blog or is it the giving of myself to the world? A blog does give us all the chance to be H.L. Mencken for a few minutes a day and that aspect intrigues me more then any other. It reminds me of the days when I would turn out fake newspapers in elementary school which became top ten lists by the time I hit junior high school. I kept top ten lists every week for songs, television shows, and a special top five of the girls I liked. High school saw the birth of the notebook. I was constantly writing in notebooks – song lyrics, poems, mad thoughts about the hyper realistic world of high school. I’ve been out of high school for almost twenty years and I still persist haphazardly with notebooks. I’m not as prolific as in the past and the anger of youth is giving way to a wiser bewilderment about encroaching middle age, but I’ve found I can’t stop. This has led to this blog which is like a shadow version of my old notebooks. It’s grown up and respectable and maybe it shouldn’t be so. Of course, the angst of youth does seem more urgent then a mundane fact that reality based television shows is killing the format. It recalls a radio show caller who had won some contest being asked what he was doing and he answered that he was sitting on his porch watching the cars go by. When asked why he was doing that he replied that his home was in a big curve and cars often ran off the road. Instead of watching the fake constructs of reality TV, we should all sit out on our porches more often. You never know when a car might run off the road.

Evidence that people are moving forward after the election? You make the call.
A friend of mine sent me this link today: http://stevegilliard.blogspot.com/2004/11/they-voted-for-this-mess.html
What is going on out there? Is the water spiked in the public schools or something? I just can’t figure out extreme liberals. It seems like they all spent too much time reading Abbie Hoffman and Allen Ginsberg. When people like the writer of that post at Steve Gilliard's blog drop out of this corrupt Western society and live off the land without buying anything from an evil corporation I might think they’re sincere about their beliefs. Otherwise they just seem like the power hungry inverse of those they criticize.

Enough politics for one day. How about the band of the week? In light of John Kerry’s loss last week I thought I’d share a Boston band that I enjoy – The Lincoln Conspiracy. Their song “Science Fiction” has been running though my head all weekend. If you dig great piano based power pop these guys will not fail to please your ears.

Be sure and visit again tomorrow as I continue to figure out what bloggin’ means to me. I may even have part one of the Wally life story ready for you. Let’s see, it begins with “my family was so poor we didn’t get an air conditioner until 1980”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man, this is steve from lincoln conspiracy. thanks for the kind words. hope you're kicking well in tennessee! lincolnconspiracy.com

Wally Bangs said...

Man, you must have really been googling to find this. It's always kicking here in Tennessee. Glad you found the post.