Saturday, November 20, 2004

National Brawler's Association

The NBA continues its slide into garbage after last night's Piston and Pacers game ended in a brawl. A fan would be better off watching street ball. Of course, John Saunders, Steven A. Smith, and the whole ESPN crew blamed it all on the fans and while the fans are indeed not guiltless, the product on the court is just as much to blame. Ron Artest did not have to go into the stands no matter what the ESPN hacks say. Getting a plastic cup of beer tossed at me wouldn't be cool, but I don't think it would call for an automatic beat down. I've heard all of the excuses about how passionate the players get during a game and how tense it can be out there. I'm sure if you're making millions there has to be pressure to perform, but does it mean there has to be fisticuffs? The NBA is putting together some great athletes who can do some awesome things on a ball court, but until they decide to grow up and act like men instead of children, the league is going to really lose fans. I lost interest in the league at the height of Jordan mania due to the very boring isolate and freak style most teams employed. If I want to see lame clear out one on one plays I can go watch church league ball. I did start watching again a few years ago since my friend Greg is a huge Dallas fan. I thought they were a pretty cool team. They didn't move the ball like a college team, but they did push the ball up the court and they did use lots of pick and rolls. Now the NBA is going to lose me again because I've had it with the thug mentality that pervades the league.

No comments: