Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I Know I Dissed On The NBA Earlier

And I have been fairly true to my word. I've watched snippets of games involving the Dallas Mavs, but that's it. But after seeing this little Fox Sports piece on the state of Steve Nash's back - I've been checking the stats for him ever since the season began - I'm a little bit ticked off by this: "With Nash - the runaway NBA leader in assists at 10.9 per game - at the controls, the Suns bolted to 31-4, one of the best starts in league history. Their style was fast and entertaining, a refreshing change from the plodding half-court game that dominates the NBA. Three-pointers rained from all sides, and lightning-quick Amare Stoudemire created havoc in the middle"

Was anybody paying attention for the last few years as Nash led the same kind of offense at Dallas? All I ever heard was there was no defense. I don't recall anybody praising their wide open fast break game that almost always produced over a hundred points (and if you happened to be at a Mavs home game that meant free chalupas). One reason the Mavs decided not to match the Suns offer had to be the durability question with Nash and I hate to see it proved out like this. I hope Nash's back gets to feeling better. I've still not recovered completely from a severe back injury that was almost two years ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eggs-actly. I’ve been thinking this too. 2 years ago, with the Van Exel, Raef Lafrentz edition of the Mavs, they had a start almost identical to what the Suns are having now, and got no respect for it. They made it to the WCF that year. Nash should be a serious MVP candidate as he has had such a huge impact on his team. At least now people are able to see Nash for the real deal talent that he is.

I think a lot of it is Mark Cuban backlash. He is loved in “Big D”, but loathed by the national media. And now the 2-time Bush voter is even feeling the wrath of Bush backers everywhere (guess he learned the hard way that you cannot question our dear leader on ANYTHING without being stomped back into line).

Quitely Jason Terry is really starting to excel in the Mavs system. His shooting percentage is unreal.

-Shrub

Wally Bangs said...

test