Friday, February 18, 2005

It's Time To Go Racing with a bodhisattva?

I have a confession to make,it's actually not much of one for those that know me well, but I love stock car racing. I always have. I used to make little dirt tracks for my Hot Wheels cars as a kid. I have stood in line for an hour and a half to get Dale Earnhardt Jr's autograph. I went to the grand opening night of the NASCAR Cafe in Nashville years ago just to get a glimpse of Dale Sr., I could have cared less for the restaurant and I assume most felt that way since it didn't last long. When I got to go to Disney World with the wife years ago, we drove to Daytona just to visit the speedway. The wife and I's idea of a dream vacation would be two weeks in Daytona during speed weeks. Of course, we'd want to take the kids with us so we could go to Disney World for a few days. I'll admit that two people with bachelor's degrees liking the sport isn't the norm, but we like what we like and the heck with those that disagree. So when I read this article about Dale Earnhardt and buddhism it made me smile. Not everybody in the stands is an inbred monster who only come to see the wrecks. There are some of us who only want to see Ford drivers wreck.

No comments: