Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Chicken Yoghurt On Live 8

Here's a little of what Chicken Yoghurt had to say about yesterday's big Live 8 announcement:

Geldof, in actual fact, says the concerts aren't to raise cash but awareness and political pressure instead. Which still isn't a good enough excuse. If this isn't about feeding already bloated egos then why can't Elton John, Madonna, McCartney et al put their money where their mouths are and pay for a massive advertising campaign instead.

It looks like Live 8 is just a good chance for some celebrity's to get exposure and make themselves feel good. I'm a big fan of the work Geldof did with the Boomtown Rats, but he really seems like he's reaching here. Maybe they want to just raise awareness instead of money this time around because it's not like you can steal awareness, which is apparently what happened to most of the money raised by Live Aid.

I bet many of the perfomers on the Live 8 list probably make more in a year than the GNP of many of the Third World nations this event is supposed to help. I'm sure the poor would rather see Elton John and the rest open up their wallets instead of their mouths.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really don't see the point of a big musical extravaganza. I can't seem to recall much about the original Live Aid. I definitely was not strapped to my TV for days on end. I do remember Judas Priest playing a good set including that Green Manaleeshi (with a 3-pronged crown) song. Didn't Zepplin play also? I think I remember being a bit underwhelmed by them. I also remember seeing a live performance by Duran Duran about that time. Was that from Live Aid or just some ABC special? They were really good on that one - in their prime and all. I looked at the list of performers from the Live 8 and I have about the same reaction that I had to seeing the original line-up 20 years ago - I hope they don't run it on TV in place of a show I really like.

Wally Bangs said...

I actually have fond memories of Live AId - possibly because I didn't get to see much of it. I was working most of the day at McDonalds. I caught George Thorogood and Madonna on my breaks, then got home in time to see Mick Jagger rip Tina Turner's skirt off, and then the drunken Dylan mumble something about how we oughta be helping the farmers (the birth of Farm Aid). Zep played as did a reunited Black Sabbath too. Duran Duran supposedly put in a great set which you obviously saw. I'm chagrined to say this now, but Madonna with The Thompson Twins was the best thing I saw that day.