Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Raisin Box Lore

I really like raisins. I eat them for a snack at work most every afternoon. My Sun-Maid raisins box bears this advice on its lid: Don't get lost, get directions. I'll have to think about that. I'm heading full speed toward 39 thinking and so it begins: the mid-life crisis. There's a deep urge to recalculate, reevaluate, and restate various facets of my life; box up the books, the records, and compact discs, throw out my closet and start anew. Flip everything around and see how it stands just to face facts: odds are good that half my life is over. Done. Finished. The choices are multi-plex multiple screenings with elements of reversion and conversion all vying for my attention. And then Liam learns how to say "yum". Harper gets a goal in her last soccer game of the year. Emmy gets all A's on her 1st grade report card. The Soulfish wife looks more beautiful than ever. I receive an email out of the blue complimenting this blog. Jones Violet finds herself singing a song I wrote. So the mid-life crisis comes to a halt before it does much damage. Though I still have a nagging compulsion to buy a red car.

2 comments:

Wally Bangs said...

At least the cursed Corsica has brakes. And its actually yours. My car is a two door Blazer rusting in your parents's backyard.

NotClauswitz said...

Mixed-nuts go good with raisins, and they have anti-oxidant stuff in them that's good for you. 40's are not just when you go midlife crisis-centric, you also get into the things you can change before it's too late - wait, maybe that's the same damn thing. You have kids so that's good, play with them, buy a pickup truck and some dirtbikes - cars can't haul enough gear for a family dirtbike outing. You can see over cars in a truck, elevation is good. Look to the horizon that's way out there.