Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Anti-Society #1976

Since I'm really busy this week and don't have time for regular posts I figure it's time to post the 4th issue of my old fanzine Anti-Society. I put out 5 issues of it starting in 1993 and the 4th issue was the biggest boasting 22 pages of content. For the first time ever I'm going to annotate it for you.

Front & Back Cover: The front is a picture of Elvis Costello's shoes that I lifted. The back is the Beastie Boys before they became insufferable.

Pages 1 and 2: There's a couple of actual letters to the zine and one great review from Limp, pics Shannon Doherty and Billy Corgan - that issue's patron saints, and Casper shilling for Blood Feast. I think the picture of the dude typing is from a Jarmusch movie.

Pages 3 & 4: DD Blank had just moved to Knoxville to pursue his PHD. He eventually got it and he now poisons the minds of kids at another school - just call him Doctor Blank. Rolling Rock was the brew of the time.

Pages 5 & 6: A little bit of the Nashville rock history with an inexplicable Planet Of The Apes and Starsky & Hutch background.

Pages 7 & 8 : Some great Weekly World News covers on one side and the always dashing Abe Vigoda on the next. The graffiti piece was by Hugs.

Pages 9 & 10: I've always been a Betty Boop fan. Nobody ever answered any of the questions in the article and the offers not good anymore.

Pages 11 & 12: An appreciation of Shemp by John Hudson.

Pages 13 & 14: The truth is revealed - there never was a band called Stinkfinger. It was just a joke by Buck and no...Buck was not one of many pseudonyms.

Pages 15 & 16: Those really are pics of me as a kid.

Pages 17 & 18: More Planet Of The Apes love and the cartoon letters are something I lifted from a magazine.

Pages 19 & 20: Ladies and gentlemen - the future Mrs. Beck Hansen!

Pages 21 & 22: I love Village Of The Giants, but I haven't seen it since I was a kid. The girl on the highway is the sister of one of my best friends. The picture of her is from 8th grade when she was a drum major. The poor girl later got sucked in by a religious cult down in Chattanooga and I haven't heard from her in years.

Just click on the pictures for bigger versions.













No comments: