Wednesday, September 20, 2006

SST Fanboy Redux

There was a time when the record label SST towered above all the indies. If I saw SST on the spine of an album I would buy it even if I had never heard of the band. Lately, I've found myself reaching for these SST groups' records again. So here's some brief posts about Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Black Flag, Dinosaur jr., and Husker Du.

Minutemen - They could drive 55. They were "f**kin' corndogs." They were San Pedro's finest export. They liked Van Halen just like me. They jammed econo. They freakin' rule!

Minutemen - Two Beads At The End



Meat Puppets - Arizona desert "new gods" of punk rock came on like a lysergic cactus puncture to my Suicidal Tendencies sensibilities. Their second album and Up On The Sun are tranfigurative singular oddities that will fill your spirit with a dusty completeness.

Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun



Black Flag - If I ever did get a tattoo it would have to be the Black Flag "bars" logo.



Dinosaur jr. - Their SST alliance was brief, but "Freak Scene" was a zeitgeist sort of track for me.



Husker Du - Zen Arcade is one those records that should be in the pantheon of independent rock and roll - a scrapyard of moods, guitar chords, and angst. When others were blasting Ratt in the school parking lot I was blasting the Du.

No comments: