Monday, November 29, 2004

Sly Old Time

Not a whole lot to report today. The holiday came and went. I made it through my 38th birthday unscathed. I got one present from the in-laws and I'm sure my mother will get me an Old Navy gift card as she does every year. I discovered an old tape of the first punk songs I wrote back in 1990 and that was present enough. I wonder if other guitar players ever go back to old tapes and wonder how in the world they could play certain notes. There were things on that tape I can't get close to figuring out today. Into this swirl of nostalgic finds, my mind raced back to those late 80's and the next thing I knew I was rocking the house with my Sly and the Family Stone records. Sly was what I reached for when I was tired of slam dancing. From the positive vibes of the early AM hit making days to the There's A Riot Goin' On bittersweet blissed out funk era, Sly and the Family Stone laid down perfect grooves spinning me to the future and back into the past.

 

Soulfish Stew is climbing up the blogosphere of the Truth Laid Bear system. I'm still a slithering reptile, but man I'm getting close to flappy bird status. If anybody wants to trade links with me, just drop me a line at wallybangs@hotmail.com and I'll see what can be done.

 

My fabulous review of a new Peter Frampton CD will be up soon at blogcritics. I'm sure everybody's looking forward to that. I was fully prepared to trash it, but Frampton just seems like such a nice fellow. I actually met him once when I worked at Phonoluxe records. He was very polite in addition to being much shorter then me. Of course, most of the big rock and roll stars I met there were smaller then me (I am 6 foot 3) except for Rick Neilsen and David Allen Coe. Maybe I'll post some stories about the rock and rollers I met there. Let me know if there's any interest. Use the comments - hint hint.

 

No comments: