Friday, January 07, 2005

God Did It - The Atheists Say

I was flipping through the channels the other night and I caught some of that new show, Tsunami, on MSNBC and they had some atheist lady on saying that the tsunami demonstrates there is no God. Her argument was how could a person believe in a God that would allow 150,000 plus people to just be killed with no discrimination. So the believer is left with worshipping a mean God. It's obvious the lady had never read the Book Of Job. What always gets me (and I'm agnostic if I'm anything) is how atheists go out of their way to try to disprove something that cannot be disproved in order to make themselves feel better about their own non-belief which is in itself a belief. If I truly felt there was nothing beyond this mortal coil I really don't think I'd care what others thought as long as they weren't forcing me to attend a church or face a stake burning, yet atheists are always going on about their rights to a God free existence being violated. If something like God doesn't exist, then how can it violate anything?
I think that within every atheist is a tiny seed of doubt and they're all scared that it will grow into some sort of spiritual awareness. Keep in mind I'm not referring to the unbelievers that just say they don't know about what comes after death, but just to the hardcore group of people that say once we're dead that's it.
My friend DD sent me a link to this Michael Novak column on the whole atheist/tsunami issue and it's much more enlightening than I could ever be. Jeff Jacoby also has a commentary at Jewish World Review on the God and tsunami issue, but with a different take.

No comments: