Monday, October 10, 2005

Web Musing

Just a few neat things about the internet:

I located a childhood friend by googling his name. He was really into World War history. We used to have these wars with the girls in 3rd grade that would rage on for months during recess. We would eventually negotiate very elaborate peace treaties to end the war always temporarily. I wish I had kept some of those treaties. I found my old pal because he had made some models of World War I planes and posted them on the web. He moved with his family to New Orleans after 5th grade and we'd lost touch soon after. Our paths were quite similar - he became a punk rocker too and last I heard he was pursuing a PHD at Auburn.

I was doing some research at Ancestry.com and came across a message from a woman wanting to learn about her husband's father. Her husband happened to be one of my cousins from my mother's side of the family. I emailed the lady and the next thing I know my mother is organizing a family reunion with them in Mississippi. My cousin's father died when he was very young and he hadn't seen relatives from his father's side of the family in ages.

I've shared emails with Suzanne Vega about Henry Rollins.

I've gotten email from a Blue Oyster Cult fanatic just because I mentioned BOC in the comments of a post at Blogcritics.

I get to waste my time and yours with this sort of stuff.

No comments: