Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Mississippi Seventies song

I've written about my days in Ripley, Mississippi often here at the blog. I suppose anyplace you live at during your early youth creates strong memories and impressions. Which is exactly what happened during the year or so my family lived in Ripley running a cafe named Rainey's. Even though we moved away I would then go back once or twice a year with my mother since Ripley was where Grandma lived along with many other relatives. 

I wish I knew more about what was going on during the year we lived in Ripley, but both my parents have been deceased for some now. I vaguely know that my mother left my father due to his hell raising ways which included him beating the hell out of me once for knocking over a display at the local IGA store. He would come home from work and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon, work on cars, and then go racing around in them. He would also spend lots of time fishing with his friend Andrew B. instead of doing whatever it was my mother wanted. So, my father quit drinking and never beat me again. So off to Mississippi we went. 

It's always slightly weird when I dream of my parents. They eventually got divorced not long after I graduated from high school. So there was plenty of time with them not together and then, both of them, remarried others. I sometimes dream of my parents separately, but more often they are still together. I am still young and they are still doing the same old things they used to do. So I started thinking about writing a tune about my parents visiting my dreams. Which, naturally, drove me to the time when they were the most together in my mind. So enjoy this demo tune. Thumbnail is from the front of Grandma's yard on Cooper Street. 

Mississippi Seventies by Wally

No comments: