Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Thanksgiving Thoughts and Planet of the Apes

I love Thanksgiving! But not because of warm fuzzy memories of huge family gatherings or playing football on the lawn, and not because of the food. I'm an only child turned only man with a wife and two daughters and while this has increased my enjoyment of the holiday, the real reason I love it is because I was born on November 26th. So my birthday is right around the corner, sometimes it even falls on turkey day which always brings the standard, "Isn't that appropriate" remark from friends and family. I suppose everybody feels that their birthday is on the perfect day and that is what I think about mine. I loved the fact that I would get presents and then less than a month later get more at Christmas. I was almost always out of school and now off work when my birthday happens. And even though I'm starting to really push that dreaded 40 number I am excited for this year's birthday as if I were still a kid. That's the way it should be.

One of the things I loved as a kid was the Planet Of The Apes series. I always asked for apes figures, but for some reason I never got any. I later ended up with plenty Star Wars and Micronauts figures, but the apes eluded me. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was strange when I would come running around the side of the house and then leap into the air and hit the ground (I was pretending to be snared by the Apes' nets), but a kid that grows up without brothers and sisters makes do. I know that on a birthday to come I will finally get one of the Apes figures. In the meantime, here's an awesome Planet Of The Apes chronology to read.

No comments: