Tuesday, August 30, 2005

College Football Predictions

Welcome to what will be a weekly post from now until the end of college football season. I am going to attempt to predict the winner (outright and versus the spread) of ten college games every week. Keep in mind, this is just for fun and if you're interested in gambling, please don't take my advice. I really don't know much about the game. I like the pageantry, the blood, the quest for academic and on the field excellence, but ultimately I'm a lightweight fan. I might watch all of a UT game, but rarely any others. I'm quite far removed from the football crazed protagonist of Frederick Exley's A Fan's Notes, nor do I resemble the goofy family from the New York Giants game elaborated on in the book. They cheered for both sides which was a sin to the main character, a thinly disguised version of Exley. I'm doing this for the heck of it. Plus I'd like to see just how good a barely informed and little knowledgeable person could do in picking games.

The home team is capitalized. There are not many surprises since this is the first week. I played it very tight. I picked Wake over Vandy since Vandy forever stinks. I picked uab with the spread against the Vols since Fulmer doesn't run the score up much. The only real upset I picked was Rutgers over Illinois and that wasn't much of one. I used the Sheridan's odds if you really want to know. If you're a music fan who's a little bummed out over athletics intruding, just ignore this. Rest assured there will be music aplenty to write about.

This weeks picks:

WAKE FOREST by 9 over Vanderbilt
winner Wake Forest
spread Wake Forest

Oregon by 8 1/2 over HOUSTON
winner Oregon
spread Oregon

TENNESSEE by 23 over uab
winner Tennessee
spread uab

ILLINOIS by 1 1/2 over Rutgers
winner Rutgers
spread Rutgers

PITTSBURGH by 3 over Notre Dame
winner Pittsburgh
spread Pittsburgh

GEORGIA by 7 over Boise State
winner Georgia
spread Georgia

Washington by 3 over AIR FORCE
winner Air Force
spread Air Force

AUBURN by 7 over Georgia Tech
winner Auburn
spread Auburn

Miami (Fla) by 3 over FLORIDA STATE
winner Florida State
spread Florida State

MEMPHIS by 2 1/2 over Mississippi
winner Memphis
spread Memphis

Anyone care to set odds on how I'll do?

No comments: