Friday, November 01, 2019

Film Flashback November 1, 1985

Welcome, once again, to a look back at what films were playing in Murfreesboro, Tennessee in years past. This week we're trying to decide what's worth seeing on November 1, 1985. I was a mere lad of 18. The weather was quite nice for All Saints Day. The temperature on Halloween had been a comfortable 70 falling to 60. An adult dressed as a ninja had stolen candy from children at the Colony House apartments, but there had been little vandalism reported that night. I bet the attendance was down at the movies on November 1 since Riverdale played Oakland that night to settle which team would be district 7-AAA champs. Spoiler: my alma mater Riverdale won 7-0 over the Patriots in overtime. I was working at Mazzio's Pizza that night since I had been off on Halloween. Realtor Pat Lane had probably come in with her family and ordered a taco pizza. That was the norm of my Friday nights for many years.

Maybe you didn't care about football and had some free time and money to spend. Here are the offerings for way back when. Cinema Twin was showing Remo Williams and Jagged Edge. Remo Williams was based on the pulp Destroyer book series and looks like it would be a fun film. I'm surprised I didn't go see it since I had read many of the Destroyer books. Readmore Books had lots of them so I would pick one up if there wasn't any rock and roll magazines out that I wanted. I need to watch this movie someday along with rereading some of the books too. Remo Williams was in its first week and would be held over for one more.

The crime thriller Jagged Edge was beginning its 3rd and final week at Cinema Twin. Glenn Close was the big star, but Jeff Bridges was certainly well on his way to being the major star he is now. I was not a big fan of Glenn Close so I have never seen this film. The trailer is interesting though, so mark another movie down to view later.






The Martin Four has some held over flicks and a couple of new ones beginning. Krush Groove was in its 2nd and final week of playing while Back To The Future was in its 18th week of what would be an amazing 23 weeks consecutive  run. It wasn't the biggest movie of 1985 for nothing. Rambo: First Blood Part II was the second biggest movie of the year and it only played for 11 weeks in Murfreesboro. I didn't see Krush Groove in the theatre, but I have seen it many times on video and television over the years. It's very enjoyable, especially if you a fan of Def Jam Records so roll with the Rush. I saw Back To The Future all by myself very early in its run. Family Ties was one of my favorite television shows so I was keen to see Michael J. Fox in a time travel movie. The sequels don't do much for me, but the first movie is dynamite.






There was a couple of big ads in the Daily News Journal for the 2 other movies starting on this Friday at the Martin Four. Streetwalkin' appears to be a lurid exploitative B-movie about the oldest profession. It only played for 1 week. I have not seen it. 





The other big ad was for a movie that would play for 3 weeks. Charles Bronson is back with Death Wish 3. Architect/vigilante Paul Kersey comes back to New York City and as long as the NYPD get the credit he is allowed to blow away as many criminals as he likes. 







No comments: