Sunday, November 24, 2019

Sunday Showcase November 24, 1985

Another Sunday is here which means it's time to look through an old Sunday Showcase. We find Kiss on the cover of this one. 


They were on the road on their Asylum tour. This was the first tour since Dynasty that stayed inside North America and lasted from November 29, 1985 through April 12, 1986. The November 30th show in Nashville was the second of the tour which had begun in Little Rock the night before. The opening act for this date was Black 'n Blue. Notice the ad features the Lick It Up album cover shot which was incredibly well out of date at this time. It's hair metal era Kiss and while it's not my favorite part of their music catalog it's still pretty fun. 




The only other concert of note was an anniversary one of John Kay & Steppenwolf at Jackson Theater. I suppose it was 15 years in the business as the band with John Kay began in 1965 as the Sparrows. They have a very convoluted history. They sounded pretty good at Farm Aid in 1986. 





The Top Ten songs in Nashville this week are a pretty weak bunch.  The Miami Vice soundtrack was living large. Glenn Frey (note misspelling in list from the paper) beats out Starship in Nashville, but couldn't do it nationally as Starship's "We Built This City" was demolishing eardrums across the country. "Head Over Heels" is a song I do love (the Nigel Dick directed music video rules) and Heart's "Never" was good...just stop yourself and listen. The rest of the top ten don't interest me very much. 






That's all for this week. Ain't it funny how time flies. I hope to have more next week.

2 comments:

What Lurks On Channel X? said...

Wow! That was my first and only time seeing KISS. I was way too excited for that show. I was such a huge fan of Eric Carr and I was finally getting to see him live. I was blown away with his drum setup and playing that night. Thanks for sharing this!

Wally Bangs said...

Eric Carr was a great drummer. I've only seen Kiss with Peter Criss and Eric Singer.