Saturday, April 18, 2020

Linebaugh Library 1971

Those that know me personally know my position on time travel. If I was suddenly granted the right to travel through time I would go straight to 1970's era Linebaugh Library. I didn't participate in story hours or any of the reading activities for youth. The only time I visited during the day was rarely on a Saturday morning. My father generally went once a week on Thursday nights and that was when I visited the library. The kids section in the basement was usually unattended by an adults and I would have the run of the section until I grew bored and then I would go upstairs and look through the adult section for books on sports, movies, and other things that interested me. There would usually be very few people in the adult sections too. I loved the modern addition to the building and how tall the shelves were as I went down each row while my father generally spent his time looking through any books related to astrology, numerology, coin collecting, metal detecting, or treasure hunting. Time seemed to be suspended as long as I was inside the building so perhaps I have already time traveled. Here is an ad from the April 18, 1971 Daily News Journal kicking off National Library Week at Linebaugh.


No comments: