Sunday, June 14, 2020

Sunday Showcase June 16, 1985

Everybody wants to rule the world in 1985 and who could blame them. The world was just so awesome with Connie Smith making sure Stephen Wesley Bridgewater gives blood, hot air balloons set to race across the Nashville skyline, and Australian pop rockers Air Supply (who had a hot air balloon on the cover of their 1981 The One That You Love album) coming to play the Opry House. I had just graduated high school and life was pretty sweet. This week's Sunday Showcase review is brought to us today by my Apple computer and an old Audio Systems ad.


Air Supply were still a pretty popular band back in 1985 or perhaps it would be more accurate to call them a duo with backing musicians as that is how they are marketed today. The Englishman Graham Russell and Aussie Russell Hitchcock were driving force with the blonde Russell writing songs and the dark haired and golden voiced Russell singing them. They specialize in soft rock love tunes - sort of the musical version of a chick flick. It's a bit ironic that their last top 20 hit, "Just As I Am", from their eponymous 1985 release was co-written by the brilliant hard rock guitarist Dick Wagner. 


Not in Nashville, but from the same month in North Carolina

Just As I Am video

You could get tickets to Air Supply from CentraTik, but Ticketmaster was where you had to go for Gordon Lightfoot tickets if you wanted to see him at TPAC on July 7, 1985. 


Ticketmaster was also selling the tickets for the Earl Klugh concert which would be on June 26, 1985. I'm sure that was a smooth evening of guitar.


Audio Systems has your last minute gift ideas for dad. I'll take one of those Sony Walkman's that can record plus the built-in FM radio. 


KDF's main man Carl P. Mayfield was pitching Apple Computers in 1985. I was over a decade away from getting a computer, but can't imagine life without one now. 


Music Village U.S.A. had a full slate of concerts coming up with a variety of country stars. If I had to pick one from this advertisement it would have to be the hilarious Jerry Clower.


Coon huntin' story

Music Village U.S.A. was catering to the tourist crowd while the newly opened Roosters (above the Cannery) was out to bring in the alternative music scene which included multitudes. Just check out this line-up which has blues, heavy metal, roots rock, new wave, and pop rockers Radio One. Actual, Will Rambeaux, and Chip and the Chiltons would be what I would want to see the most. 


Chip and the Chiltons



How in the world did I not notice back in 1985 that the Circle Jerks were coming to Cantrell's? 


Maze featuring Frankie Beverly were coming to Municipal on July 4th which makes me wonder if there wasn't a fireworks show downtown then. I would have been much more interested in Jesse Johnson and Teena Marie on this bill. 


Jesse Johnson's Revue

I think people tend to forget what a huge rock star Rick Springfield was back in the Eighties. He would coming to Municipal on July 11th. I have liked Rick since he first hit the big time with "Jessie's Girl" back in 1981. I wish I had gone to this show in addition to the one I was planning on going to at Municipal a few days before. The Tennessean online features great photos from this show along with the one I attended. 


a taste of Rick Springfield live 1985

I went to the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert on July 9, 1985. It was weeks away when this ad ran, but I bought my tickets as soon as they had gone on sale. Note the big print for opening act Lone Justice who had a minor hit with the Tom Petty/Mike Campbell penned "Ways To Be Wicked" that year. Only around 5,000 people came to this show according to the same Tennessean article  I linked to above which features incredible photographs from the night. I decided to start smoking Kool cigarettes on this evening and the menthol made me sick so I do not have the fondest memories of the evening, but both Lone Justice and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were great.



Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers live a few days later 7-14-1985

No Passes for The Goonies. I wouldn't see this scream fest until it aired on network television. I love it even if the kids spend almost the entirety of the film yelling their lines. 


Goonies never say die

The Top Ten songs are full of blockbuster 80's tunes with my favorites being "Don't You Forget About Me", "Things Can Only Get Better", and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World." I love the Tears For Fears song so much you're going to get the original video and the end of Real Genius even though that movie wouldn't be released until August because it's inclusion was just brilliant. Next week's Showcase Review will be from 1980. Hope you stop by for that one.




No comments: