Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday Showcase June 22, 1980

Our time travel journey this week is the June 22 - 28, 1980 Tennessean Sunday Showcase. I was so hoping I could find the Debby Boone special on YouTube, but I came up empty. 


Check out who is opening for Ted Nugent on July 2, 1980 at Municipal: The Scorpions who are great, but even better is Def Leppard who were on their first tour of America that year. The Nuge was still riding high with Scream Dream being released this very month in 1980. It featured the instant classic cut "Wango Tango."


Def Leppard from earlier in 1980 when they opened for Pat Travers

Scorpions live in Paris April 1980

"Wango Tango" live on The Midnight Special 1980

The Tennessee Theater was bringing Johnny Winter to town on July 8th with the then basically unknown Billy Squier opening. So, if you saw both of these rock concerts you were ahead of the pack when it came to Def Leppard (who would be opening for Billy in a few years) and Billy Squier. Johnny Winter is one of those rare rock and roll artists who didn't receive much radio airplay, but always was out playing blistering music live to an appreciative audience. I regret not getting to see him in person.


Billy Squier - You Should Be High

I couldn't find a 1980 video so how about this 1974 appearance

Time to pause this review for an ad for Judy Judy Judy's which I believe was once just plain old Judy's which was a blatant copy of Wendy's. There was one located in Murfreesboro and the kids in my neighborhood liked to run bicycles over the drive-in cord repeatedly. The teenagers working there must have hated us. 


The ever funky and smooth Isley Brothers would be playing Municipal with The Gap Band and S.O.S. (which stood for Sounds of Success) on July 3rd. That would have been an awesome night of music. 


S.O.S. Band Take Your Time (Do It Right)

Oops Upside Your Head

Here We Go Again live at Bearsville Studio 1980

John Denver was coming to Municipal Auditorium on July 12th. I think by this time in his career he was beginning to be thought of more as an actor and television personality than a singer/songwriter, but he was still a huge music star. I couldn't find a good 1980 solo performance so I'm posting a tune from his 1979 appearance on The Muppet Show. 


talking plants!

I bet a good portion of the John Denver concert was probably taking these macramé classes at the 100 Oaks and Rivergate Mall's JC Penney stores. Didn't they notice the Eighties had arrived? 


Earth shoes always come back - the natural heel boomerang of a shoe. I post these Earth shoe ads for one reason only: I always wanted a pair when I was a child and my parents sensibly never bought me any. 


I don't know if Earth shoes would have been too cool at Phrank and Stein club where the nascent Nashville punk rock alternative music scene was coalescing. 


Placid Fury

Cloverbottom

The Ratz

Capitol Records was giving "The Gambler" songwriter Don Schlitz a huge push. We're talking a full page advertisement. You can't tell it with the black and white, but the lion's eyes are the same blue color of the background. 



I can't find out anything about The Tenderrifics, but they look smooth. I wonder if they played yacht rock. 


I had a really great joke written about this movie, but I think I'll keep it to myself. The movie probably doesn't need any more abuse.


This movie launched the 80's?

The Top 10 Records this week is a great mixed bag with many of these tunes being staples at the roller skating rink. "Funky Town" and "Cars" always filled the floor. My other favorites from this list would be "Coming Up", "Call Me", and the super awesome "Brass In Pocket" by the Pretenders. 


You want a love to last forever...

Gotta move to a town that's right for me

Here in my car I feel safest of all

Been driving Detroit leaning no reason








No comments: