Sunday, August 09, 2020

Sunday Showcase August 9, 1992

We're venturing into the 90's this week. The Sunday Showcase from August 9, 1992 features a cover story on Lyle Lovett. I like his Eraserhead hair and his music is pretty cool too.


April 92: dig that long box packaging on the compact disc

Starwood Amphitheatre has a bunch of upcoming concerts including Volunteer Jam XV. Howie Mandel was so popular he could hold a concert at Starwood. The 90's were weird and wonderful.


Elton John gets a big ad in the paper. He was promoting his album "The One" which had been released in June. It was probably an entertaining show.


Does anybody out there remember the local free music paper the Metro which was published by Gus Palas other than the Rev. Keith A. Gordon? If you want to hear all the sordid details just click on over to The Other Side of Nashville. Rev. Keith says that the Metro went dark in early 1992, but I think a concert to celebrate its seventh anniversary shows the idea of it at least lasted into later in the year.


Big things were happening over at the Pantheon with the House O Pain "Migraine Matinees." I played a few of these before they eventually found a longer lasting home at Lucy' Record Shop. Odd bit of trivia for you. The House O Pain shows moved to Lucy's pretty much because of Gus Palas buying the lease on the Pantheon according to a comment from Donnie Kendall to The Other Side of Nashville piece I linked to above. 


Now for the Top Ten Records and what we find is a mess. There are separate listings for contemporary hits, country, and urban contemporary. I had pretty much given up on commercial radio by this point in my life and these charts don't make me regret that decision. There's some okay songs, but it's mostly bland.




I did not pick this issue just because of this next part. It's just a happy little coincidence that I went to this Lemonheads show with D.D. Blank and one of his college buddies (although D.D. swears it was just us). I was a massive Lemonheads fan and I thought Juliana Hatfield was cool since she had been in the Blake Babies so I was pumped up for the show. Wednesday night shows at the Exit/In for still fairly obscure acts don't draw a lot of people and this was when they had small round tables on the floor. So we sat at a front row one for Juliana and she was so boring. We politely applauded, but that wasn't enough for her. After several songs she stomped her feet and said we "were the worst audience she'd ever performed for" and then she ran off the stage in a huff. Which made it super hilarious later when she came out to sing "My Drug Buddy" with Evan Dando. The Lemonheads were just okay, running through a perfunctory set of their tunes. The one major thing I got from the show was that Evan had stuck a small mirror on his Gibson SG so I promptly went out and did the same thing on my Aria Pro. 



1992 on Letterman rocking out!


The WWF was growing its brand and a big double main event was coming to Municipal Auditorium. I never cared much for the Ultimate Warrior, but Macho Man vs. Kamala would have been cool. As this went to post I learned that James Harris AKA Kamala died today August 9, 2020. RIP to one of the all time greats.


Wrapping up this journey into 1992 we have a little movie called Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It wasn't a huge hit, but it wasn't a flop either. I enjoyed it back in 1992. Little did we know that 5 years later the writer of the film, Joss Whedon, would turn it into a television series that would become a pop culture phenom. Next week I'll be back in the 80's again. 



No comments: