Thursday, April 22, 2021

Let's Go To Big K 40 Years Ago

I don't know if those of us who lived in Murfreesboro in 1981 (I had just moved back after living in Smyrna for a year) realized that Big K was on its last legs, but that was the case which makes this 3 page ad from the April 22, 1981 Daily News Journal even more bittersweet than mere nostalgia would suggest. We had moved right into the S curve off Clark Boulevard by Mitchell-Neilson Elementary so Memorial Village was an easy bicycle ride away when I had a bicycle that didn't have a flat tire or broken chain otherwise I was hoofing it over there. I spent most of my time in Family Billiards playing pinball since I could often play for hours on just 1 or 2 quarters on the Playboy or Mata Hari pinball machines. It would be June of 1981 when Big K merged (more like they got consumed) with Wal-Mart. 

Check out all of the awesome things you could purchase during the outdoor sale 40 years ago. I think I'll grab some of those over the calf tube socks.




Here's a photo of the front of the Murfreesboro Big K which I may have shared before. It was posted to Facebook by Danny Campbell who I believe was the photographer. 



No comments: