Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Sell Out? Who Me including a list of my favorite bands (Subject to Change)

I couldn't resist any longer. I put my order in for this box set:


Then in July this baby will be coming out. I need to pre-order it soon:


The Who and The Beach Boys go together just fine. The Who are right up there with The Beach Boys on my favorite band of all time. Way ahead of the Beatles. The Beatles aren't even my favorite band from Liverpool. My current read is the Peter Stanfield book on The Who titled A Band with Built-In Hate: The Who from Pop Art to Punk. It's a really great book which is as much about pop culture as it is The Who. I highly recommend it. 


My ever changing list of favorite bands may change from time to time, but The Who are always there. They're mod, they're pop, they're rhythm & blues, they're heavy metal, they're conceptualists, they're just this great combination. I've seen many people opine they are a band with a lead singer, lead bassist, lead drummer, and lead guitarist (although Pete is more aptly titled a rhythm guitarist), and it's not that far wrong. One of the grandest things about the group is their constant evolution. Pete Townshend's inability to ever be content is to our lasting benefit. 

So about that list of favorites. I'm not numbering it since it's in no particular order, but I'll still keep it to 10. This is a list of bands as they pop into my head. Sorry solo artists. You can sit this one out. 

The Who
The Beach Boys 
Van Halen 
Ramones
The Muffs
Cheap Trick
Jimi Hendrix Experience (they were a band! albeit one with a major dude leading the way)
The Kinks
Echo and the Bunnymen
Kiss






No comments: