Monday, June 28, 2021

Monday Music

Here's another installment of Monday Music for all of the cool cats out there who know you have to be viewing the web version of this blog to see embedded videos. Per usual it's just tunes I've been digging over the last few weeks or so. We'll start with some quintessential Generation X slacker vibes. I absolutely hated this tune when I first heard it. You'd think I would have been up for it since I had been reading about Beck's antics in Flipside magazine, but it took years for me to grasp it's meta mythic state. What kind I say, I was a loser.

I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me.

I lived on the farm of country music star Jimmy C. Newman for most of my high school years and got to know him and the members of his band. Most of them were Cajuns and they never forget to tell you that often. They were so proud of their culture and I thought they were very cool and interesting. Eventually, by just being around them so much I found myself subconsciously imitating their accent when I spoke with them. I watched Jimmy C. Newman and his band Cajun Country perform many times and much of the appeal of the music was provided by his accordion player Bessyl Duhon who is a legendary musician. This music seeped me into me and I've found myself on a Cajun music kick just this past week. I wish I could find the entire documentary of this which aired on PBS way back in the 70's. This features Louisiana musical giant Nathan Abshire. 

Nathan Abshire

Thinking about Jimmy C. Newman naturally leads me to the tune "Alligator Man" which he co-wrote with Floyd Chance. He performed that song at every concert I saw. It's an ace tune and the man who is perhaps my favorite American musician loved to perform it too.

Alex Chilton "Alligator Man" 1998

And now for an upside down question mark with hair. This may have been released in 1990, but it's absolutely perfect music for a montage in an Eighties film. And this video..it's bonkers in the best way. 

Steve Vai - I Would Love To

I wish this video was for the full song, but it's the 45 version we get. That will have to do. I find myself singing this song often these days. Black Sabbath was a visionary band. Such a combination of light and heavy in "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." 

They just tell you that you're on your own fill your head all full of lies.

I got The Who "Sell Out" box set and it's amazing. I had always rated the album highly, but immersing oneself in it like a bath of baked beans is truly the way to go. I am obsessing over it like a school kid really. This mono version of "Our Love Was" is just great. And then you've got to hear "I Can See For Miles" too. I hope everyone reading this has a great summer. 

Our love was shining like a summer morning.

The Who lip syncing is still great cause they look hip





No comments: