Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Crystal City addendum (Letters Never Sent)

During the 80's and early 90's I wrote lots of letters to people. I had friends who had gone away to college and I also had penpals I had made through a mutual love of the Manic Street Preachers and due to my fanzine Anti*Society (tooting my own horn alert: that fanzine received national praise from Flipside magazine and the Beastie Boys magazine Grand Royal). I would say for every letter I sent there are probably 2 or 3 more I didn't send. Some of them even made it to addressed envelope stage, but I either forgot to mail them or more likely the information enclosed had changed so a new letter had been written and sent. 

My recent post about visiting Washington D.C. and staying at the American Motel in Crystal City led me to look through some boxes trying to find the photo of me in front of the White House. I finally found that photo in a box of old tape cassettes under my bed. Before I found it I found a trove of old song lyrics (look for the tune "Nobody's Perfect" on my YouTube channel soon) and old letters never sent. One of those letters never sent was from the end of 1987 maybe into 1988 some and it serves as an addendum to the July 1987 D.C. trip. Hope you enjoy this brief look back in time. 

I believe this letter would have been meant for D.D. Blank who was well into his 3rd year of college. The first page is missing so forget the salutations and whatever was on that first page.

1987/8:

I learned some more guitar from Drocam. We watched some Super 8 home movies one night at J.D's. Lots of old basketball footage. J.D.'s moves haven't changed since he was a little kid. Then the projector started burning through the film. I took Jethro B. to see Rocky Horror at MTSU. He wasn't too pleased. What else? I went to the Al Gore satellite hookup with M.D.. What trash. Al's a walking quaalude. Drocam and Fannblade went too. I found out I got along fabulously with Fannblade. He's not a shallow scenester like I originally thought. I read The Reivers. It was excellent, you'd like it. 

Dalai Lamai's Death Squad (DLDS) is closing in on reality. Gonz saw an F.U.C.T. show and has seen the power in punk. $$$$ We're going to be working on some punk tunes this weekend after we go see Intruder and Mr. Zero. Life is, indeed, wild. I'm working at Cummings Sign from 3:00 to 11:30 weeknights. It's not too bad. Ace's Pizza folded. My manager there had played drums with Luck London. He was a great guy though. He didn't even get mad when I told him we thought Luck London stunk. 

I have nothing else to say so GOODBYE, 

                                                     Wally Wastoid

I don't ever recall being on night shift at Cummings Sign. Weird how one forgets everything. 


No comments: