Monday, February 22, 2021

Monday Music

I've been down the rabbit hole of new New Zealand rock thanks to The Beths. Of course, I've been a huge fan of the Flying Nun record label out of New Zealand for decades so I will include some awesome tunes from those groups too. So, here's a treasure trove of incredible music from there. 

First up here's some Hans Pucket. Their videos are witty and their music is fantastic. As D.D. Blank told me one evening via text message: "somebody under the age of 50 has listened to skinny tie pop. Maybe, there's hope." I will try and do a full post on this band of phenoms soon. 

Comfort

Straight To My Heart

The Chills will live forever in their "Kaleidoscope World." They have stereos and electric guitars...

Kaleidoscope World

Bailter Space's 1995 release Wammo has just been reissued on vinyl. I highly recommend this Flying Nun band with their sweet shoegaze rock. 

Splat

Bird Nest Roys were brilliant one album wonders. They were said to be one of the Flying Nun bands that had the Dunedin sound, but were actually from Auckland. 

Ain't Mutatin

Speaking of mutating, the Verlaines line-up is an ever-changing carousel, but as long as Graeme Downes is writing the tunes we're good. I do love when Jane Dodd was in the band though. 

Doomsday

The Clean! This band's music came to me later than other Flying Nun acts, but it was instant love. Their songs helped me through a rough patch of life and are right at the top of my favorite New Zealand bands.

Anything Could Happen

Platypus

Here are a plethora of classics from The Beths. Liz Stokes writes the tunes. The band arranges them and guitarist Jonathan Pearce produces the records. The albums sound incredible and the songs are magic. I have purchased them in every format from Bandcamp. Now I need to find a G & L Fallout guitar and a Jansen amp. 

Little Death

You Wouldn't Like Me

Lying in the Sun

Jump Rope Gazers














No comments: