Friday, March 17, 2023

March 17, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

March 17, 1985. It's official. Cooper & Martin grocery store is closing. My family shopped at the IGA on Memorial when I was a small child, but primarily bought groceries from Kroger and Giant Food most of the time. There was a period though that my mother liked to shop at the Cooper & Martin store and I loved their magazine rack. My mother would shop while I just browsed through the huge selection of music magazines, lurid detective ones, and pro wrestling mags with the almost always bloody headshots on the covers. It was the last Cooper & Martin store remaining in the chain owned by Malone & Hyde. Competition was just too much with Red Food and Winn-Dixie having recently opened new stores in Murfreesboro plus Kroger had just opened a super store around the corner. 



Other news from the Sunday Daily News Journal: Channel 39 is showing lots of music videos. I wish it could have kept on doing this instead of eventually becoming an all Christian station. 


The Sunday Accent section featured a photo of Jason Ringenberg and Warner Hodges. Their band Jason and the Scorchers had long been Murfreesboro favorites as my history of club KO Jams shows. 


Today's post is brought to you by the fine folks at Rax Restaurants. I loved their milkshakes.



No comments: