Thursday, March 02, 2023

Sidelines Ads from March 1985

I've got a bunch of "what was playing at the Martin Twin" posts coming up soon and there's still some 1985 high school memories to write up, but I'm taking a slight sidestep today to post ads that ran in M.T.S.U.'s student newspaper Sidelines during the month of March 1985. I wouldn't really become aware of Sidelines until I started my first semester at M.T.S.U. later that year, but I was starting to attend more events on campus as my senior year of high school came to its crescendo. So how about some college related advertisements from 38 years ago plus a really nice shot of Murphy Center. I'm going to throw in some YouTube treats too. I found all the great ads at the JEWLScholar site. I highly recommend it.

Giant Foods March 1, 1985 bologna 24 hours a day!!

The Pikes were always up to something. March 1, 1985

Clear eyes ad March 5, 1985. Now I know what everyone is thinking, but reading page after page as you cram for an exam could also make your eyes need drops too.

March 5, 1985 The Jimmy Church Revue...I bet this was awesome!!

March 5, 1985. I had yet to see a movie at the K.U.C. but that would change in April.

Mr. Bill: Los Angeles from 1981

March 5, 1985. Screen Art is still around today too!!!

March 8, 1985. Duff's is long gone from Murfreesboro, 
but there are a few still open elsewhere.

March 8, 1985. M.T.S.U.'s Murphy Center is so underrated. It is truly a jewel.

March 8, 1985 

March 12, 1985. I wish I still had the movie posters I purchased there. 
I do still have some of the comics.

I didn't think D'Lites was very good. March 12, 1985

March 12, 1985 Phillips Bookstore

$85 is the equivalent of $236.33 today as of 2-21-23. 
Go Greyhound! March 12, 1985

Greyhound ad from 1984

March 12, 1985 Spring fever was hitting hard!!

March 12, 1985 Everclear Purple Passion posters can still be had on eBay!

March 12, 1985 Foreigner and Bocephus (or is it Ocephus?) in the same month!!

I bought so many great records at Sound Shop when it was at Jackson Heights Plaza, but I don't think I ever purchased any classical albums there. I still wish I could get in touch with the lady that managed it back then. She was cool. I last saw her at the 1988 Summer Lights in Nashville. March 29, 1985

Cat's Records was hyping jazz and Los Lobos. I miss Cat's Records too, but lucky for me I still keep in touch with the cool guy who managed the store back then. 
Smiley is one in a million. March 29, 1985

It won't be "wax on, wax off", instead it will be 
"Old Time Rock and Roll" and hookers in Chicago. 
I think Risky Business is a much better film anyways, 
but I wouldn't see it until later that summer when my cousin rented it 
along with Repo Man when I was visiting her in Memphis. March 29, 1985

Risky Business trailer

March 29, 1985. RIM students partying down at Mainstreet!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the Foreigner concert. Their performance of I Want to Know What Love Is was phenomenal…(choir backing the band).

Saw The Warriors at K.U.C.

Wally Bangs said...

The Warriors is such a fun movie. I would see The Rocky Horror Picture Show in April at the K.U.C. which was really great. I saw many films there through the years with my favorite showing being when I saw The Untouchables (which I had seen before) with probably the entire Que Dogs fraternity. It was sort of like Rocky Horror in that they were yelling at the screen the whole time. I had a blast at that one.