Wednesday, June 28, 2023

June 28, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

June 28, 1985. It was the night before my annual trip to Ripley, Mississippi with my mother so I couldn't stay out too late. I worked an easy afternoon shift at McDonald's happy that I had the next 2 weeks off. Later that evening I went and saw St. Elmo's Fire with some of the gang. I really enjoyed the movie that night and became semi-obsessed with the Andrew McCarthy writer character Kevin Dolenz as I thought I was a writer too. Plus, who could fault him for being in love with Leslie Hunter played by Ally Sheedy. I bought the movie poster for this film and The Breakfast Club that year from Collector's World over by M.T.S.U. along with a bunch of old cheap comics. I think they either ended up in the trash or perhaps my father sold them long after I moved out. I got the soundtrack from Cat's Records as I really loved the David Foster music. I probably bought some punk records with it along with Aretha Franklin's "Respect" 45. I was always crazy with my tastes.

Respect!

I'd see St. Elmo's Fire again many years later and find it to be a pretty goofy movie. I found myself disliking the characters as they all seemed suspect. I guess that was sort of the point. We were bystanders watching these people come to grips with their post baccalaureate college days and none of them seemed to have a clue. It does have a great cast though,  chock full of Brat Packers. 

No comments: