Thursday, September 14, 2023

September 14, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

September 14, 1985. There was nothing much going on at this stage of my life. I was still working at the Smyrna McDonald's. I was still infatuated with my co-worker M.S., but like most of my crushes in those days it would go nowhere. I was attending classes at M.T.S.U. and I would often get up before dawn just so I could grab a choice parking space on Faulkinberry. I don't even think that street exists anymore. I believe I had already bailed on the typing class even though a cute young lady in the class liked to chat with me before and after class. She might have been shooting me signals, but if she was I was too dense to receive them. 

I spent most of my time on campus either hanging out in Todd Library which I discovered had an absolute treasure trove of Beat literature or I would see if my friends Scott and Tony were around in their dorms. Scott lived in Smith Hall while Tony was in Gore. I had met Scott in my Introduction to Mass Communications class. He had met Tony in one of his classes. We were all into punk rock, New Wave, alternative music which was then being labelled college rock, and we shared a love of The Monkees. 

I was writing poems, prose, and song lyrics in these M.T.S.U. notebooks I would buy from Phillips Bookstore downstairs at the K.U.C. and it made me pleased that Tony actually liked some of the lyrics. He joined a band called Cruel Blue. They were a 3 piece with Tony played Bruce Foxton inspired bass guitar runs. When The Replacements Tim album came out on September 18th I went over to Scott's dorm room first. Tony walked over and we all listened to it for the first time that day. We all liked it, especially "Bastards of Young." I would listen to that record on repeat for much of that autumn as I lapsed into obscurity. A deluxe set is about to come out this month. I pre-ordered it.


No comments: