Wednesday, September 27, 2023

September 27, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

September 27, 1985. I had enough of the Smyrna McDonald's. The manager had been scheduling me to close on Friday nights and then come in to open on Saturday morning. I'd get home around 1AM and then have to get up at 4AM. It was bullshit and I had told the jerk that if he didn't stop doing it I was going to quit. Sure enough, he kept on. He told me, just one more time as there was a dance at Smyrna High School so he had to let the high school students off that Friday. He'd never do it again after this time. Well....it would never happen again as I worked Thursday night and told him to shove the job up his rear. I hung around in the parking lot with MS and SB afterwards feeling elated and sad all at the same time. 

I decided to go check out the Cat's Records free concert the next night since I no longer was working. One of my old Riverdale classmates Matt Green was playing drums with this pop metal band Burning Hearts who were playing. Billy Chinnock headlined and he was good. The big draw for me though was the store manager Smiley's band Riff Raff (later called Riff Rath) were playing. My friend Bruno would review the Burning Hearts at some point for M.T.S.U. Sidelines student newspaper and raise the ire of them for eternity. I remember it was a good night of music capped off by some swigs of whiskey later on celebrating my brief freedom from the working class. That would be ephemeral. 


No comments: