Sunday, December 22, 2019

Sunday Showcase December 24, 1978




Tis the season to be jolly and look through another past edition of The Tennessean Sunday Showcase. We didn't always buy a Tennessean, but when we did it was on Sunday since my father loved the comics section. I loved the comics too, but my favorite part was the Sunday Showcase hence these weekly posts. We're going to put on our polyester suit and dancing shoes as we hustle on to the Top 10 Records of the week. It is peak disco time y'all! The American music charts were dominated by disco in 1978 and this would continue well into 1979. Looking at the Billboard Top 100 charts there were 14 disco songs in 1976 and 1977 only 8 as judged by me. 1978 would see 21 and 1979 would have 30 disco hits most of them released late in '78 or the first half of '79. 1980 we're back down to 8 disco songs in the Top 100 and by 1985 there would be zero disco tunes in the Top 100. That's my opinion from looking at the charts. Your take may vary. but I'm sure it would be similar. I count at least 4 disco tunes in this chart with Hot Chocolate's "Every 1's A Winner" being a strong dance floor contender for a 5th disco tune. 







Indeed, people were freaking as disco was peaking. Clubs and lounges were touting their disco nights. Arthur Murray could teach you how to do the hustle. Disco technicians could bring the party right to you. 








If you needed some disco records there were several ads in this week's Showcase for record stores you might want to visit. I was in 6th grade and while music was definitely a passion (this was the time when I created a fake radio station in my room and in between spinning records I would do my deejay act), but comic books were something I loved more. A couple of my 6th grade friends and I created our own comics, but they are lost in the void of growing up now. The reason I bring this up is that 6th grade was when I was first made aware of The Great Escape which had opened the previous year. One of the friends I made comics with started going there to buy comic book back issues. By the time I finally managed to visit the store all I would care about was the records. Port 'O' Call Records are long gone. New Life Record Shop just closed down for good a few months ago. Just dig their crazy ad! Woolco could also hook you up with some good records, but oddly almost no disco.






Some of the funkiest ads and probably funkiest times would have been at the hotel lounges. All of the foxy ladies were welcome on Tuesday at the Ramada at I-24 and Harding and I suppose the Kixx band would rock you all night at the Rodeway Inn.

                   

If you want to rush out and get a last minute Christmas gift just remember that audio equipment is always welcome. 



Or even better, why not get me a computer at Doc's Computer Shop on Nolensville Rd. 




The Top Ten Songs in Nashville was always a big highlight of the Sunday Showcase, but another one was the TV Starscreen crossword puzzle. The one included this week has a nice cartoon of Andy Kaufman. Test your crossword skills.


That's it for this Sunday Showcase review. If you like what you see, subscribe to my blog, leave a comment, or just smile contentedly.








No comments: