Sunday, December 01, 2019

Sunday Showcase December 3, 1972

This Sunday Showcase review is from the December 3, 1972 edition. I was a mere 6 years old. Apollo 16 had successfully gone to the Moon earlier in the year and the last manned mission, Apollo 17, was going to launch in just a few days so my head was filled with visions of outer space around this time. It would have been apropos for someone to gift me with the last David Bowie record for Christmas, but I think I got a Sesame Street one instead. My parents should have shopped at 100 Oaks Mall.



The Top Ten Records in Nashville for this week are a mix of soul, singer songwriter, rock, and pop. It's interesting to see old rockabilly cat Billy Lee Riley in the top ten with the Tony Joe White penned tune "I've Got A Thing About You Baby." It was recorded at American Recording Studio in Memphis by Chips Moman and was probably just a local Southeastern hit since it only hit #93 nationwide. This is really quite a good top 10. 










There were a couple of concerts coming up at Municipal Auditorium in the next few weeks. The country rock band Poco was playing December 8, 1972 with It's A Beautiful Day and Jim Croce. You could have picked up tickets for as low as $4 at Sgt. Pepper's record store in Rivergate Mall. I wish I could find a photo of that store. I'm sure it was cool. I was way too young to attend this concert, but I would have loved to have been there, admittedly mainly because of Jim Croce. He was truly one of a kind. 







If you had some gifts you needed perhaps you could do some Christmas shopping at The Hobbit with 2 locations. Perhaps some older Nashvillians can comment and let me know exactly what sort of store The Hobbit was. I found an ad a year later noting they were a licensed seller of Sony stereo products, but maybe they sold more than audio equipment. 



Another big concert coming to town was the Godfather of Soul himself; James Brown. The whole James Brown Show would be at Municipal on December 9, 1972. Funny Man Clay Tyson, female preacher Lynn Collins, and the J.B. Blues Band are on the bill. If you were either there, or been reading my Sunday Showcase posts, you know that James Brown played Nashville often in the early 70's. I hope many reading this got to see him. I'm sure it was incredible. 










Finally, if you still hadn't made your New Year's plans back in December of 1972 and you considered yourself an "Action People" you could get tickets to the King of the Road Motor Inn's big New Year's Eve Party. Ronnie Milsap was the featured attraction. That's it for this trip back into the past. Next week we'll be in December 1980 which will see the arrival of a bikini brief wearing guy from Minnesota for a show. Hope to see you there. 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm trying to remember when Sgt. Pepper's was at Rivergate Mall. I only remember it being located behind Madison Shopping Center near the theater. Oh well. Thanks for the mammaries.