Friday, January 17, 2020

Film Flashback January 17, 1975

Sometimes it's hard for even the most avid film lover to find something worth seeing at the movies. This is what happened with me this week. I looked at week after week of movies playing Murfreesboro on various January 17th's through the years and came up empty. When there were decent movies to write about the advertisement quality was terrible or there was no YouTube trailer. I was faced with skipping a week and then it came to me. Why not see what was playing at the M.T.S.U. cinema? So I have landed back in 1975. I'm a bit disappointed that arriving on January 17 means we have missed the showing of blaxploitation classic The Mack, but here's a taste of the film with the dynamite Willie Hutch soundtrack. Max Julien stars in this movie and if you haven't seen it, please do yourself a favor and sample it yourself. After all, this movie is still being sampled by hip-hop artists these days.



Soylent Green is what was playing the U.C. Cinema on the 17th. It's a film with the different genres of crime and dystopian future sci-fi put into a blender...I hear you get people in the end. Charlton Heston chews up the scenery and the foodstuff Soylent Green. Actually Charlton is quite reserved until the end of this terrifying film. Edward G. Robinson is fantastic too. Be sure and run when the scoops start coming. 






As you can see there were plenty of stellar movies coming to the U.C. Cinema in 1975. When I attended M.T.S.U. in the 80's and 90's I would often see movies there. That's all for this week, but be sure to visit Soulfish Stew anytime as I'm always putting something here. Next week's film flashback will take you back to the era of film noir. 

No comments: