Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday Showcase January 28, 1979

I thought it was a software problem initially (flashing screen on my Mac), but after many attempts at a fix it persisted so I figured it was a hardware issue after all. So I had pretty much decided to not do a Sunday Showcase post this week. I had pulled a few photos from a 1983 issue that would have made for a short post so I fired up the now disco ball Mac to move the photos to a flash drive so at least a brief post would happen, and lo and behold the gremlins disappeared. No more flashing screen. So, perhaps it was a software issue after all. I decided then to just scrap the 1983 idea and instead go back to 1979. This time around I'm just going to go straight from front to back. 


First up is this neat little ad for New Life Record Shop noting they were moving right down the road to 5343 Charlotte Ave. New Life has gone now to that record store graveyard in the sky, but I will always remember fondly browsing for hip hop records there in the mid 80's.


The Top Ten Records in Nashville are next. The disco music trend is reaching its apex. The Blues Brothers cover of "Soul Man" definitely stood out to me at the time as it was so different to the rest of the songs on the radio.



Lynda Carter poses with her best selling poster of 1978. I loved watching Wonder Woman during the 70's. 


Municipal Auditorium was the place to be if you were into ice skating. 


Sound Seventy had some amazing concerts on tap with Parliament Funkadelic, Styx, and Chuck Mangione set to play Nashville on February 23, 24, and 25. I would have loved to have seen all three of these shows. 






I know you need a Precision Haircut. 


                                                                                                                    If you were looking for something to do on that Sunday night January 28, 1979 you could go down to the Exit/In and catch Marshall Chapman and the Ramones! The Ramones would not play Nashville again until January  19, 1989 when they played Nashville Center Stage. 





If you couldn't make it to see the Ramones at Exit/In you could just stay in and watch the heavily edited television broadcast of Taxi Driver. This was its first network television showing. 



We end this week's Sunday Showcase review with an advertisement for Disco Fever. There's a disco in a jet! And Casey Kasem! And Fabian! 








No comments: