Saturday, May 02, 2020

Retro Commercials

I love watching old commercials. I can fritter away entire evenings sometimes lost in their charms. Many of them hold up better than the series they paid to advertise on. They are also fascinating to see what the culture was like back then and how the product was pitched. The 70's and 80's are naturally what interest the most. It's also fun to catch future stars in commercials before they hit it big. It's another way I time travel away from this particularly dreadful current year.

This first batch has Vision Quest and The Breakfast Club television ads, Levi's 501 jeans, Sharp products, and Mtv commercials among others.

Dave's Archives - 1985 Never Looked So Good

I didn't like pizza until my senior year of high school. My friends would hang out at Mr. Gatti's and I felt like a doofus not eating pizza with them there. So I slowly began eating frozen pizzas at home. I would nibble very small bites until I finally was able to tolerate the sauce (I never liked ketchup or tomatoes) and eventually pizza became my favorite food. Avoid the Noid with another selection from Dave's Archives. I really like the celebrity Pizza Hut ads from 1986. 

Dave's Archives - Iconic Pizza From the 80's

There was a PSA which aired in the 70's that I had wanted to see again, but had never been able to find. It was an environmental one which featured a kid who was around my age when it originally aired talking about what kind of America would be left when they grew up if we didn't start taking better care of Earth. The memorable part to me was a shot of the kid standing in the torch part of the Statue of Liberty. The torch portion of the statue had been closed to the general public since 1916 due to it having such a narrow ladder to get to it, but they had let them use it for the commercial. I always thought to myself, "Wow! What a lucky kid" to get to go up there. I stumbled across it again with these commercials just a few weeks ago. It was much shorter than I remembered, but was still grand. 
The PSA Don't Be Fuelish begins right after the Kellogg's Frosted Rice ad at 2:48. 

We've got a right to the same kind of America they had, don't we...




No comments: