Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunday Showcase May 20, 1973

It was Emmy time with Johnny Carson hosting on May 20, 1973. CBS would win the most awards on the night taking 17, ABC gets 11, PBS with 6, and NBC bringing up the rear with just 5 awards. All In The Family and The Waltons are among the series that won an Emmy that night. You can find a complete list at Wikipedia.


I love this headline about ABC sportscasting legend Howard Cosell. I always enjoyed Howard's ponderous way behind the microphone, plus he was later the host of The Battle Of The Network Stars so I can never forget that.


Sound Seventy was bringing Jethro Tull to Municipal Auditorium on May 21 so if you were in the mood for some flute in your rock and roll that would be the place to be on Monday night. If you wanted your flute with a bit softer and less progressive bent you could skip this one and wait to see Lawrence Welk presented by WSIX-TV 8. There was bound to be some flute music to go with the champagne.



Hermitage Landing took out a full page ad in this Sunday Showcase. I would get to go there in the late Seventies and then catch the One For The Sun concert there in 1984.


KDA-FM & Woodland Sound Studio were presenting the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band live on the air that Sunday night. Years later my folks were looking for a new place to rent and we toured a house that had a small upstairs bedroom which featured a poster of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band left by the former tenants. We didn't move into this house, but that room with the poster still figures in my memories. I like to think all of our lives are filled with such ephemera, but perhaps not. 


Once again The Villa features a band posing with a train. If there are any train buffs that recognize the train or know anything about Carnival let me know in the comments.


Boston band Orphan was coming to play a few days at Exit-In. The Showcase mentions they have country overtones and I'd have to agree.




If you were a businessman working downtown you could get your lunch at the world famous Red Lion Lounge. I think 6 hours of continuous Go-Go and exotic entertainment would be a bit much.


The Eagles were still at the small theater stage of their career, but wouldn't be for long. They were playing War Memorial Auditorium on June 3 with the always great Charlie Daniels  opening for them. My opinion of The Eagles waxes and wanes, but it is interesting to me that there was a time when The Eagles were considered a cult band. 


My opinion of Elvis Presley however never changes. He was and always will be the King of Rock and Roll for me. My mother was from North Mississippi just a few counties over from Tupelo and she moved to Memphis in the Fifties. Elvis was her favorite musical artist much to my father's consternation. Elvis was coming later in the summer to Municipal and the shows were already sold out. 


All that's left for this week's Sunday Showcase review is the Top 10 Records list and its a fairly wide range of styles which was very typical in the Seventies. There's some soul, some country, some hard rock, country, and an ex-Beatle all showing up this week. "Frankenstein" would be my favorite of this bunch, but Canadian group Skylark featuring future mega producer David Foster and the amazing vocal talents of Donny Gerrard is pretty awesome too. I learned something watching the "Frankenstein" live video or perhaps I knew it once and forgot it, but the song's title comes from how it was edited down with different pieces of tape comprising the final version.



Skylark

Edgar Winter Group live version of Frankenstein

Next week I'm going through a 1976 Sunday Showcase so be sure to wear some Bicentennial themed clothes.










No comments: