Sunday, May 03, 2020

Sunday Showcase May 4, 1975

John Wayne heads to Tower Bridge in London on the front cover of this week's Sunday Showcase from May 4, 1975. Brannigan was the movie which was playing at the Loews Crescent downtown. I've done a whole series of posts about what I believe is every movie that played the theatre after Loews took over the lease. Here's the post to the movies that played there in 1975. It was one of his last film roles.


Brannigan trailer


This week's Sunday Showcase review is brought to you by Friedman's Army Surplus Stores with two convenient locations in Nashville and one store located in Murfreesboro. I really miss these stores. I wonder if you can still buy Duck Head clothes? I guess I need to search the net and see.


There's not lots to cover this week so I'm getting right to the Top 10 Records. Number one is "Philadelphia Freedom" which is not by a solo Elton John, but is credited to the Elton John Band. The song title was a tribute to Billie Jean King's professional tennis team the Philadelphia Freedom, but not about the team according to lyricist Bernie Taupin. One of my father's favorite artists is in number 3. My dad got a real kick out of Freddy Fender. My favorites from this list would have to be Linda Rondstadt, the Carpenters, and America. 


I have many copies of the Heart Like A Wheel album on record and CD

Carpenters - Only Yesterday

the official vinyl video - ok well whatever it's Sister Golden Hair

I don't watch regular broadcast television anymore. It's probably because they don't have cool movie line-ups like WNGE2 did back in the day. They had something worth viewing from morning until late night. Now it's a wasteland of talking heads with their insufferable infotainment. I occasionally have to suffer through some of it when I had a doctor or dentist appointment as they will usually have a local station on in the waiting room. I just don't see how anyone can watch that stuff.


Two of the Top Ten Record sellers in Nashville were headed to town for concerts in May. I really love this ad from Sound Seventy Productions for upcoming shows. Nice clean newsprint with excellent ticket graphics for each artist. First the big ad and then each one separately with a video afterwards.


America was riding high in 1975. I didn't like these guys much in my younger days, but I've really come to appreciate their song craft. That's one of the best things about music is how it aways finds you in the end. "I've been hit by purple rain."


I think I've shared this song before since it's so great

It's been pretty cool to see Linda Ronstadt get so much recognition over the last year or so. She was arguably the premier female rock artist of the Seventies and I have always loved her voice. She would be coming to the New Grand Ole Opry House on May 19th. Just a few short years before it would have been the Exit/In for her, but her fame was exploding and she needed a bigger place to perform.


Live "You're No Good" January 1975

Some people who were really in the dark might have said Alice Cooper was arguably the premier female rock artist of the Seventies, but of course Alice is a dude. The name was at first just the name of the whole band before Vincent Furnier decided to take on the persona and by 1975 the band was dissolved and he had become a solo artist with the release of Welcome To My Nightmare. The stage show was compared to a Broadway production and would be coming to Municipal Auditorium on May 25, 1975. I'm a bigger fan of the original band days, but I do enjoy most of Alice Cooper's work and with Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on guitar for this tour you know it rocked. It would have been super cool to see this show especially with Suzi Quatro opening. She's in my rock and roll hall of fame.


Glycerine Queen live Japan 1975

From the 1976 Welcome To My Nightmare film

John Prine would be playing the War Memorial Auditorium on May 30th. I wish John was still around to be playing today, but we lost him on April 7th to the coronavirus. 2020 has been such a bust so far that there are moments that this journey back into time is quite comforting. Prine was an interesting artist. He never broke through into the stardom of a Willie Nelson or Kris Kristofferson, but like those guys his appeal broke through with everyone that heard him. I know metal music fans, punk fans, and lots of commercial country music fans who would all get along famously if you bring up John Prine's name. Godspeed good sir.


Souvenirs - this is the studio version

The Eagles would be coming in June to Municipal Auditorium and the Charlie Daniels Band would be playing May 13th at Columbia State Community College.



I must admit much of interest in movies has to do with their newspaper ads. Drive-in movies generally had to make do with much less newsprint in the Seventies so much of the appeal is with just the fonts of their often scandalous titles. Here's what was playing this week at 4 drive-in's and the Colonial Twin in Hendersonville which I suspect was much like the Martin Twin in Murfreesboro.


Next week I'm heading to the 80's with television Nazi's being chased by Pac Man. Or something like that. 


No comments: