Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sunday Showcase May 31, 1981

Lawrence Welk, Donald Duck, and Andrea McArdle dressed as Dorothy walk into a bar...


...and you get the cover of this week's Sunday Showcase review. I had a big crush on Andrea McArdle when I was few years younger after seeing her on the Tony Awards or something. I don't understand why a television movie from 1978 is getting such a push in 1981, but seeing her wearing ruby slippers is cool. I did watch Rainbow when it aired the first time as I also adored Judy Garland when I was a child. 

Andrea McArdle sings Stormy Weather


April Wine were coming to play the Tennessee Theater on June 16. They are not mentioned in the ad, but Franke and the Knockouts were the opening act. "Just Between You And Me" was a bit smash for April Wine at this time and "Sweetheart" was a top ten hit for Franke and the Knockouts too in the spring of 1981. I like April Wine's hard rock material and I love that they (like their fellow Canadians Rush) shot a music video at the now gone Le Studio.


April Wine "I Like To Rock" shot at Le Studio


"Just Between You And Me" live in 1982

Franke and the Knockouts on American Bandstand


Tunesmith Jesse Winchester would play the Tennessee Theater a few days after April Wine. He was out promoting his Talk Memphis album so I'll include "Say What" which made it into the Top 40 in June of 1981. 


"Say What"

Last week's Sunday Showcase review ended with ZZ Top's 1976 World Wide Texas Tour and here they are back again in 1981 along with Loverboy. I think they left the wild animals in Texas this time.  ZZ Top were touring after releasing the Devo inspired album El Loco. You think I'm joking, but the use of synthesizers on the record, in particular on "Groovy Little Hippie Pad" was inspired by Gibbons seeing a soundcheck by Devo. I couldn't find any good 1981 live footage, but I did find a good version of "Groovy Little Hippie Pad" from 1982 and you really can hear the Devo coming through which is fascinating.  Loverboy would be headliners the next time they played Nashville. 


"Groovy Little Hippie Pad" live in 1982


There was a big new attraction at Opryland opening. The Grizzly River Rampage with its rough and tumble white water rafting was all set with Grizzly Adams himself,  Dan Haggerty, coming to town for the occasion. I've probably written this before and I'll write it again, but I have never set foot inside Opry Malls and never will. I despise those money hungry jerks at Gaylord that leveled one of the happiest places on the planet. I rode the Grizzly River Rampage often over the years and loved getting wet if the weather was really hot and humid. I would have loved to have gotten season passes for my family of 5, but it wasn't to be. 



Rock 106 was the best hard rock FM station in Nashville until the station was sold and the format was changed to easy listening junk. There was a legacy left however with the Homegrown compilation album. I've got it in my collection. 


8th grade had just ended for me or perhaps it was still going for a week or so as I remember watching the Thurman Francis Junior High tumbling team do a routine set to the Stars on 45 "Medley" during the last week of school. "Morning Train" had been a favorite of my girlfriend Lisa that spring. I bought the Styx album after finding $40 on the ground. I also bought Pony tennis shoes and went to a carnival on that windfall. Kim Carnes's "Bette Davis Eyes" was a monster that year. 


I've heard it all before

Sheena


I'm a jet fueled genius

her hair is Harlow gold


Even though it wasn't in the Sunday Showcase here is some bonus Rush from Le Studio. 

"Tom Sawyer" from Le Studio


"Limelight" from Le Studio


No comments: