Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sunday Showcase Review December 20, 1970

Our journey back in time this Sunday takes us December 20, 1970 where the great guitar picker, songwriter, actor, fisherman, and Scooby Doo guest star Jerry Reed graces the cover of the Sunday Showcase. He was one of my favorite entertainers. 


knock 'em in the head with a stump

Once upon a time you could get Firestone branded bicycles. The Monster GTO, a 20-inch Starguard GTO, Miss GTO, the 20-inch Flame GTO, or the Warrior Princess GTO could be yours for under $50. The mini-bike would set you back $139.95 without tax. Mini-bikes were all the rage in the Seventies. 


Bewitched was a show that I caught in syndication later than 1970, but I thought this was a nice promotional photo for a show I later enjoyed quite a bit. I had also totally forgotten that they had a second baby named Adam. The Christmas episode "Sisters at Heart" is a very memorable one in which Tabitha wants to be her friend Lisa's sister. It was a very special episode before those became a thing. Perhaps it was the very first one. 



The Safari later became the Villa. The Mercy Blues probably played both iterations. 


Creedence on 8-track cartridge. Pendulum had just come out a few weeks before. You could hear "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" on an infinite loop. I checked and none of the Creedence tunes got interrupted mid-song by the program clicking over. Sweet!


you keep on changin' your face

The pre-Christmas sale was happening at Electra. I think they sell electronic related goods, but this ad seems to be selling us something else. 


The place to be on December 29, 1970 was Municipal Auditorium where the Jackson 5 and their revue would perform. 


shake it shake it baby


Holiday Inn commercial 1970

Another great Holiday Inn ad with the iconic sign. If you wondered what you had to eat on Christmas at Holiday Inn the menu is right there. Children 5 and under got to eat for free. 


Holiday Inn Christmas commercial 1970

The Top 10 Records are a pop smorgasbord. I had just turned 4 so I was probably aware of many of these songs. I do recall really liking the Bobby Goldsboro Show, but that was a few years away from airing. The Carpenters hit with 2 tunes in the Top 10 even if the title is wrong on the Christmas one. Karen Carpenter had one of the finest voices ever and wasn't a bad drummer either. I have never heard of Mashmakhan, so I have to include that one below. Jerry Reed's "Amos Moses" is a Best Bet.


Mashmakhan

to think this Paul Williams classic was a bank commercial first

I think I love you


BONUS

There was another insert in the paper called Young World and I liked this ad included in that section. 




No comments: