Sunday, December 27, 2020

Sunday Showcase Review lots of December covers from various years to end the series plus a few other items

So this is it. The end of my Sunday Showcase reviews. It's been lots of fun looking through them and I hope you've enjoyed reading my posts. I'm going to keep blogging away, but the coming year will be a little more free form. I decided to end the series with a look through many years worth of December cover pages. The Sunday Showcase section began in 1963 and if you stick around to the end or scroll down you'll find the very first cover. Keeping with the spirit of my previous reviews there's no real method or attempt to share stuff from every year, but instead it's covers that I liked for some reason or other. 

December 26, 1965

Juliet Prowse

December 25, 1966

Uncle Joe is moving kinda slow

December 29, 1968

Sock it to me baby

December 26, 1971

10 Minutes Ago


David Hoy was an interesting cat. 

  

Phil Hoy on his brother David Hoy
  

The Dave Hoy interview story

December 17, 1972

Lynn Anderson on the Tennessee Ernie Ford Christmas special 1972

December 15, 1974

December 26, 1976

1977 Rose Bowl Parade super 8 footage

December 18, 1977

Wilma Rudolph rules!

December 31, 1978
`

Happy Birthday, Charlie Brown special

December 30, 1979

I miss Dick Clark

December 28, 1980

Live from the Los Angeles basin

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on Fridays

American Girl performed on Fridays

Jefferson Starship on Fridays

Elvis Costello made his country album in Nashville so the city was one of only three in which he performed for his Almost Blue tour in 1982. I would have been much more interested in seeing AC/DC on January 18, 1982 at Municipal Auditorium.


For Those About To Rock live December 1981

December 26, 1982

Typical great week of rock and roll at Cantrell's 

As far as I can find out this movie didn't get finished. I don't think that's Linda Perry of 4-Non Blondes fame. I do know that Jones Pet Shop in Hillsboro Village was later a coffee shop Bongo Java. 


December 25, 1983

I would be remiss if I didn't include at least one Top Ten songs list so here's the one from the December 25, 1983 issue. Quiet Riot had peaked and was on the way out. The Stones hit the list with "Undercover of the Night" which was a strange one with its accompanying violent video. The Top Ten is dominated by mega stars of the early 80's. 


Cum On Feel The Noize

Love the Holiday Inn sign at the beginning

"that bites it even more"

December 30, 1984

Crazy Like a Fox

December 29, 1985

Charlie Brown done in by War & Peace




Bonus

The first Sunday Showcase March 24, 1963

The last Sunday Showcase February 25, 2001




No comments: