Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Advertisements: The Elves Strike Back 1980

Everyone seemed to enjoy my review of Christmas ads from 1970-1979 last Christmas Eve so I'm back with more. I initially set out to bring you 1980-1989, but since the Rutherford Courier is now available online I ended up with so many ads I decided to stay in 1980. We were living in Smyrna in 1980 and it was a wonderful Christmas there. So it's fitting to have lots of ads of Smyrna businesses this time around. There's also plenty of Murfreesboro ones too. The ads have been snipped from 1980 December issues of the Rutherford Courier, Murfreesboro Press, and the Daily News Journal. One of the running themes from the 1970-1979 post was Santa with a shopping cart. This time around there are several ornament related ads and some delightful Pigg & Parsons ads featuring the biggest little Santas. I hope you enjoy them. Merry Christmas to you all. 

Mattel Football 2 was not cheap. I always enjoyed when my mother would drive to La Vergne to shop at M & M Variety & Fashion Mart. I never looked at the fashions. I only looked in the toy section. 


Photos with Santa at Mercury Plaza was a must when I was really small. I was too old in 1980, but the fact that Santa was still there was comforting.


Goldstein's is long gone, but there are lots of people still around that can remember shopping there. 


It wouldn't be Christmas without some good food. Note the Christmas ornament theme. Let's roll with that for the next few ads. 


Star Auto Sales has what I assume to be the owners's pictures in the ornament. I love the pun too.


Here we have two different insurance companies using the ornament theme. Note: Marty Luffman is a history buff who can tell you anything you want to know about Smyrna history. 


If you needed a nice outfit for a lady in your life, The Cotton Patch would probably have it.


I was very fortunate to have cable television when I lived in Smyrna. I think I watched Over The Edge over a hundred times that year. 


I remember browsing at Second Hand Rose, but I doubt my mother or father would have ever bought second hand clothes. Years later about all I wore came from Salvation Army or Goodwill.


My mother knew a lady that worked at Sullivans so we always spent way too much time there. The store seemed too upscale to me. I do wish it was still around though.


I was really disappointed when Gibson's Discount Center closed in the 70's and was replaced by a building supply store, but I did like Moore's fox logo. 


Santa Claus is always up on the latest in hairstyles. The "great, new-fashioned" line is a good touch.


This Ramada Inn Christmas ad is strange to me. I get that Santa Claus will be there during lunch, but is it because we're cooking him in the fire. He doesn't look happy.


Santa and his sleigh pulled by reindeer is a standard holiday trope and I love how its used here. I spent lots of time at Memorial Village while I was growing up. 


All-Pro Sporting Goods had just opened up in Smyrna and their Santa gets around by snowmobile. 


Santa with a shopping cart was still in fashion in this ad for Greer's Farmers Market. I loved the rustic feel of this short-lived grocery store. 


Speaking of rustic, here are several nostalgic olden times type advertisements.



I think Paul Johns and Son must have collaborated with Smyrna Discount Shoes as their ads give off the same vibe. I loved Smyrna Discount Shoes. I got some excellent Keds from there in 8th grade.



Santa insists all letters to the North Pole next year must be typed!!!



Mooney's was the best barbecue. My father would stop there often.


As promised above, here are the Pigg & Parsons biggest little Santas ads. They look like dwarves or gnomes to me. These "biggest little Santa" ads weren't just a local store/local paper ad. I've seen them used in all kinds of men's clothing stores ads from the late 70's and early 80's. They're lots of fun.




No comments: