Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Tuesday Tunes returns!

I believe Blogger got whatever bugs out with embedding videos since I've been posting them with the Lucy's Record Shop calendar entries with no issue. So, here's to the return of the semi-regular blast of Tuesday Tunes! These are all music videos I've been enjoying lately. 

I got a notice on Monday that an all new MJ Lenderman album was coming in September and along with the announcement was a brand new song and video in advance. I felt like a kid again hitting that pre-order button at the Bandcamp site for the album Manning Fireworks. I really dig dude's vibe, plus I love his other band, Wednesday, too. 

MJ Lenderman - She's Leaving You

R.E.M. got elected to the Songwriters' Hall of Fame last week and it was special to see the guys all together again sitting down for a long interview with CBS and then seeing snippets of them performing "Losing My Religion" during the induction show. There was a period of time when I had lost my love of R.E.M. which I have written about here before, but I'm a reformed life long fan of the band that was, for me and my friends, The Beatles of the South. 

R.E.M. - Live and How to Live It

King Krule dropped a new video last week titled "Time for Slurp" and, while I'm not quite sure what slurp is, if Archy Marshall says it's time for it let's go. 

King Krule - Time for Slurp

Another band I really like is releasing a new album in August. Irish greats Fontaines D.C. have released a couple of videos in advance of this upcoming record which is called Romance. The latest tune, "Favorite", is intercut with videotape of children playing (I assume the children are the Fontaines D.C., but haven't investigated to be sure) with current clips of the band. My children are all, very recently, grown up so the video makes me nostalgic for the days when they were little. Great tune. Looking forward to the album.

Fontaines D.C. - Favourite

Ginger Root is another great artist with an album coming out later this summer. SHINBANGUMI is set to be released September 13th. "Better Than Monday" has a chorus that reminds me of The Beach Boys Love You album which is super nice. 

Ginger Root - Better Than Monday

Weird Paul Petroskey has been making music since the 1980's and even put out an album on Homestead Records! You could spend weeks, maybe even years, watching the content he has uploaded to YouTube. There's not only videos of his songs. There's not only old home videos. There's thrift store hauls. Taste testing candy. Short videos of pop culture ephemera. I think the best stuff he ever did was an album called Othello. Othello was the name of the duo of Weird Paul and his sister Linda Petroskey. It's a little bit unhinged and yet, endearing and fun. 

Othello (Linda Petroskey & Weird Paul Petroskey) - Eat Pizza, Go to Jail

The bass player from the New River Boys posted this great video of Red Smith sitting in with his group at the Station Inn doing a fantastic version of "Freeborn Man" back in 1975. Smith was one of the original owners of the place which is now a music institution. 

Red Smith and the New River Boys - Freeborn Man


No comments: