Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sunday Showcase March 20, 1966

Hope everybody is doing well in these trying times. I'm going to continue to put these out just to get my mind off things. This week will be a brief post though as I couldn't find too many issues around this time from Sunday's past that appealed to me. I thought about calling this entry "Okay Boomer" but that meme is played out. I wasn't even born when this Sunday Showcase ran with Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball, and Zero Mostel gracing the March 20, 1966 cover.


Buckley's Discount Record Shop was promoting Capitol record releases this week in 1966. The East Nashvillian ran a great story about Louis Buckley who was once the record king of Nashville.


Here's a photo of Mr. Buckley in January 1976 in front of the 410 Broadway location. 


You would have been more likely to find country music at Buckley's Broadway store so perhaps you could have picked up the Chet Atkins Picks On The Beatles there.



Buckley's Record Shop was far from the only store in town. Ernie's Record Mart is another legendary store that used to sponsor the great John R's (who I wrote about just last week) radio show.


Hard to believe there is only one Morrison's Cafeteria left in the country. I believe that one is located in Mobile, Alabama. But there really hasn't been a true one since Morrison's sold out to competitor Piccadilly. I find this advertisement to be amusing. What a different world it is now. Maybe the ad writer were fans of T.S. Eliot. Do I dare to eat a peach....


Printer's Alley was the place to be for nightlife at this time in Nashville.


I love this ad for Russ Meyer's Motor Psycho movie. I think it looks cooler with the other newsprint showing so I left the clip as is. Don't wig out. I'm hip.


Crazy like Rasputin.

Finally this week we come to the Top 10 songs in Nashville. There's lots of good tunes on this list. I think the only one on here I have not heard was Bob Lind's "Elusive Butterfly" so how about giving that one a listen. It's kind of groovy.





No comments: