Sunday, March 08, 2020

Sunday Showcase March 7, 1971


It's all about Disney On Parade on this Sunday Showcase cover. The date was March 7, 1971. I was only 4 years old and I'm pretty sure I was still living in Mississippi, but was about to move back to Murfreesboro, Tennessee very soon. There's a lot of what would be considered cheesy in this issue so lets get to it. 

Disney On Parade was set to take over Municipal Auditorium for several days. I suppose it was like Disney On Ice without the ice. Here's a clip of the Bare Necessities tune from 1971 if you want a taste. 

If you have time to kill someone has uploaded an hour's worth of the 1971 Disney On Parade. Since this was aired on The Wonderful World Of Disney I'm pretty sure I would have watched it as a child since I never missed that show. 

  


The 5th Dimension would be coming in the next month for their first live appearance in Nashville. They were one of my favorite bands when I was a small child and I still enjoy their music today. 


Marilyn McCoo is totally enchanting


It's noted that the Carpenters are up for 6 Grammy awards. They were also a huge favorite when I was little and I have never stopped loving them. It's been interesting seeing them go from artists thought of as being cheesy middle of the road to bonafide hip artists. All I know is that Karen Carpenter could really play the drums and she sang like an angel. 


I've probably shared this before because it's super cool.

For All We Know number 5 in Nashville during this week


I don't see the Carpenters listed in the Murphy's ad, but I bet you could find their 8 track stereo tapes there too.
 


The Top 10 Records in Nashville this week run the gamut from super cheesy bad apples to a tripped out dead on arrival horror story. There's lots of stuff to enjoy on this list and none of it is a guilty pleasure. 


Top of the Pops lip sync fun

Scratchy 45 makes it even scarier

I don't care what they say I don't care what you heard

Remember a post or so back when I shared an ad from the Villa? Well, before this place was the Villa it was called Safari and the band booked to play it looks amazing to me. 


Finally we come to this promo for the WSIX newsmen. WSIX was the ABC affiliate, but it wasn't on channel 6, it was on channel 8. The call letters came from the 638 Tire Company owned by the Louis and Jack Draughon brothers who also began and owned WSIX which was a radio station located at 980 on the AM dial. The television station was the second station in Nashville beginning in November 1953. By 1971 the Draughons had long left the picture having sold the station to General Electric in 1966. The call letters would become WNGE in 1973 when the station swapped its frequency with the local PBS station with channel 8 becoming channel 2 during prime time December 11, 1973. I find this ad promoting their newsmen funny especially when it was followed a few pages later by the sensationalist blurb about drugs. 



That's all for this week. I'll be back next week with another one of these cheesy blog posts. 







No comments: