Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday Showcase March 26, 1978

This week I'm looking through the March 26, 1978 Sunday Showcase. The cover promotes the 50th anniversary of CBS special which aired that Sunday night with so many stars featured an identity key was added to the Ask Showcase section. I've included the opening segment which has an amazing amount of star power. I much preferred ABC during this era, but as I was a TV junkie this is still very cool. I highly recommend you watch all 13:43 minutes as the nostalgia overload is great.




Sound Seventy has a few spring concerts right around the corner. You could check out Jackson Browne at Municipal Auditorium on Monday night March 27, 1978. Randy Newman had finally crossed over to the pop scene with his song "Short People" and he was coming to the War Memorial Auditorium on April 12th. 


That is....if there was anything left of the War Memorial after the April 7th concert which features Van Halen, Ronnie Montrose, and Journey! Journey toured all the time during the 70's and early 80's truly earning their fame and this tour was their first headlining one and and going to feature new lead singer Steve Perry. Ronnie Montrose was playing strictly instrumentals since Sammy Hagar had left the band. But the big story was Van Halen on their very first opening tour!!! This predated their opening spot for Black Sabbath, but the story is much the same. They were incendiary live. Here is a great article about those days: Van Halen & Journey: Sharing Stage, Rivalry In 1978. If you got to see Van Halen on this date please leave a comment. I would love to hear how amazing it must have been.


Of course, if hard rock was not your thing you could head down to M.T.S.U. and check out John Denver. I know where I'd have rather been. 


Van Halen later in 1978 when they were opening for Black Sabbath


methinks the Beatles influenced this one


Rock and roll wasn't the only thing on tap as Vandy's Rites of Spring festival was bringing in a couple of heavyweights to play. I would have enjoyed hanging out on Alumni Lawn on April 15th for sure.


As those of you who read these posts know, David Bowie played Nashville often (half a dozen times) during the 1970's. This April 13th Isolar II Tour date was going to be the last time he played Nashville. My friend the X Man was at this show and I do believe it changed his life. There is a bootleg of this show out there which is pretty darn cool. I'm sharing a YouTube clip of it below, but it may not last long. It is quite good audio wise.


Bowie live in Nashville April 13, 1978


I know what I was watching on Sunday March 26, 1978. I was nuts about The Wizard Of Oz when I was young and I looked forward to seeing it once a year on CBS. This aired right before the gala CBS: On The Air 50th anniversary special that night.



Looking ahead to later in the week there is a local show that I would love to see again. The Tennessee Story airs on Channel 8 with its last installment. I don't know how many of these were made, but they were required viewing for us Mitchell-Neilson Elementary 5th graders. I still vividly remember one which featured Fall Creek Falls. I had never been to see the waterfall and the show featured just the sound of it before showing it. I was mesmerized by it. I have been to it many times over the years since seeing it on The Tennessee Story.


Later on in the week The Bob Newhart Show would air its finale. The show was a bit over my head, but I later watched it in reruns and loved it. The theme song is one of my favorites. 





Finally we check out the Top 10 Records in Nashville for the past week. The Bee Gees are strong with 2 singles in the top ten, perhaps 3 if you count younger brother Andy's "Love Is Thicker Than Water" which was co-written by Barry Gibb who would become the only person in history to write 4 consecutive number one songs as the number one Billboard tunes went like this: "Stayin' Alive", "Love Is Thicker Than Water", "Night Fever", and then Yvonne Elliman's performance of "If I Can't Have You." Rod Stewart's "Hot Legs" is a great rocking boogie tune. I do not care much for Clapton's country boogie "Lay Down Sally" though. 


heaven's angel devil's daughter

I'm glowing in the dark I give you warning


you're making me a physical wreck

That does it for this week. Come back next week to see for another one.



No comments: