Friday, November 27, 2020

Film Flashback November 27, 1984

This week's film flashback to what was playing at the movies in Murfreesboro, Tennessee takes us to November 27, 1984. The Martin Four has Chuck Norris, George Burns, Peter O'Toole, Faye Dunaway, and Helen Slater top billed for three of the films, but my absolute favorite of the bunch stars Catherine Mary Stewart, Kelli Maroney, and Robert Beltran. I have to admit I didn't see any of these films at the theatre, but I did catch Night of the Comet very early in the morning on HBO a few years later and it such a blast. It had the Tempest video game, an old movie theatre, outer space stuff - the comet of course, zombies, a radio station, a shopping mall, Los Angeles, and a cute cheerleader; all of those are people, places, and things I loved as a teenager. The Belmont sisters survive the comet zombie apocalypse with a little help from Hector and a scientist played by Mary Woronov who actually has a heart unlike the other ones. It is a quintessential 80's teen film.

Supergirl introduces the big screen to Superman's cousin, Kara For-El, who has come to Earth to retrieve a powerful orb. The evil witch Selena played by Faye Dunaway stands in her way. Peter O'Toole as Zaltar helps Supergirl in this movie that bombed at the box office. I've heard that the uncut version available on DVD and Blu-ray. You can also see Oh, God! You Devil and Missing In Action at the Martin Four.


She has all the power of the universe, but she still has to learn about love.

Believe me...I'm possible

Do we run or fight? We don't have a choice now.

Daddy would have gotten us Uzi's

Across town at the Cinema_One you can see Bill Murray in a dramatic role in The Razor's Edge or check out Arnold Schwarzenegger becoming a big star in The Terminator. I've never seen The Razor's Edge, but the adaptation of the W. Somerset Maugham novel about a World War I veteran trying to discover meaning in life flopped. The public just wasn't ready to accept Bill Murray in a dramatic role. The Terminator has become a pop culture phenomenon. Arnold was great as the murderous robot, but Linda Hamilton shines as Sarah Connor. Michael Biehn is excellent also. The movie has a palpable sense of menace which is unnerving and thrilling at the same time. I did not see this one at the theatre, but memorably saw it on cable tv at my friend Glenn's house after our high school graduation. I had drove around Murfreesboro with various friend's looking for a party that was never found and somehow ended up at Glenn's. The Terminator was better than a party.


The pathway to salvation is as narrow and as difficult to walk as a razor's edge.

I'll be back




No comments: