Sunday, November 29, 2020

Sunday Showcase Review November 27, 1977

 You may find yourself wondering where did 2020 go, but I'm still trying to figure out how 1977 went by so fast. Let's look at just items from the November 27, 1977 Sunday Showcase. It's probably just me, but I really think Beverly Sills looks a lot like Charlotte Rae in the cover photo. 


Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band were coming to play Municipal Auditorium on December 14, 1977. I think I was overexposed to Seger's music as KDF played it a lot back in the 80's, but I did like him. He's probably on the Mt. Rushmore of American rock songwriters of the 70's/80's along with Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, and Tom Petty. Meat and potatoes rock and roll. Nick Jameson who had sung with Paul Butterfield, played bass and produced Foghat's "Fool For The City" album (also came up with the idea for the cover) and been in the group the American Breed is the opening act. He went on to a very good career as an actor and voice over artist. 


Nick Jameson - I Ain't Searchin'

Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - Main Street live 1977 New Orleans

The Bob Seger show was promoted by the mighty Sound Seventy. There happened to be a full page story on Sound Seventy in this week's Showcase. 


Port O'Call and Sound Shop have your music needs covered with all of the CBS Records Superstars.


Karate was a real pop culture phenomenon in the Seventies. 


The Talking Heads would be appearing on this Sunday night at the Exit/In. Talk about an insanely great schedule for the next few weeks!


I'm tense and nervous

Cate Bros.

Debby Boone domination of the Top 10 in 1977 is in full swing. "You Light Up My Life" was a mega hit song, inescapable and openly mocked by the more cynical people. I was just a little kid and I liked the tune. I also liked The Bee Gees, Dolly, Elvis, Heatwave, and Linda. Perhaps my favorite song on this list though is Paul Simon's "Slip Slidin' Away" which has a mysterious vibe that always entrances me. 


Debby was cool

the nearer your destination

The Hobbit was coming to television. Rankin and Bass directed this pretty okay animated version of the classic Tolkien book which was must reading when I was in 3rd grade. I remember being pretty pumped up for this special and quite enjoyed it at the time. This was probably the first introduction to Tolkien for lots of people.














No comments: