Sunday, November 15, 2020

Sunday Showcase Review November 16, 1980

 The fall of 1980. I was in 8th grade at Thurman Francis Junior High School in Smyrna. The actors strike had delayed the start of the new television season until November. And if my father decided to buy a Sunday Tennessean I would have immediately gone to the Sunday Showcase section since this was my favorite part of the paper along with the Sunday Comics and sports sections. Let's see what was in the November 16, 1980 Sunday Showcase.


Kenny Rogers was becoming a superstar in 1980. The Mandrell sisters got a variety show on NBC. The disco movement had peaked and was no longer the pop culture force it had been, but ABC was bringing Saturday Night Fever to the small screen. It was still a big deal to see a major motion picture on a television network as cable television was still being rolled out. I had been lucky to have cable the last couple of years and was happy that when we moved to Smyrna in April of 1980 we continued to get it. 

This week's Sunday Showcase review is brought to you by Polaroid which you can purchase at your local Big K. This ad came from a photography supplement to The Tennessean. 


It's also brought to you by your local Port O'Call records and tapes store. I would buy all of my 45's from the one located at The Mall in Murfreesboro. It's also where I would later buy some amazing New Wave pink sunglasses which I later lost and still miss, Van Halen's 5150 album the moment it was released, and the Violent Femmes debut album plus so many other awesome records. 


Rock 106 was in its last full year of broadcasting before becoming an easy listening station and they were helping promote some rock shows. There was the Alvin Lee Band and Savoy Brown coming November 28, 1980. This show would be at the Tennessee Theater.


The Allman Brothers Band and the Atlanta Rhythm Section were playing a larger capacity location. How many enjoyed the Southern rock on November 21, 1980 at Municipal Auditorium?


Allman Brothers live at Capitol Theatre 1980

The show I would have wanted to go to was the Stevie Wonder concert at T.S.U.'s Howard Gentry Convocation Center. Gil Scott-Heron was the opening act. 


Stevie Wonder "Master Blaster" live

The new television season was beginning after being delayed and there's a big CBS ad for its Sunday night lineup. I would have probably watched One Day At A Time, Alice, and probably The Jeffersons too. I never cared much for the character of Archie Bunker. 


Dallas was the hottest show on television with everyone waiting to find out who show J.R. Ewing. Larry Hagman gets interviewed by Channel 5's Ruth Ann Leach during this week. 


Dallas season 4 intro

It's sometimes hard to note when a television series has peaked and is going downhill, but Laverne & Shirley moving to California was definitely a clear signal that the series was not what it was. They probably jumped the shark before this season premiere, but if you had any doubts at all this answered them.


Laverne & Shirley season 6 intro

Kenny Rogers not only had a television special airing, he also had the number one song in Nashville with the Lionel Richie written and produced tune "Lady." The Top Ten has several tunes I've shared before, but I'm going to share the ones I like again. Queen's "Another Bites The Dust" was my favorite from this Top Ten. 


I want the world to know

I had to do some breakin' through

Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet

Alice went to wonderland, but I stayed home instead

I've waited for you so long



No comments: