Friday, February 17, 2023

Sunday Showcase Review: February 17, 1985 (Senior Year Edition)


Disneyland 30th Anniversary scene

What better time than today to bring back a once popular feature of Soulfish Stew, that being a review of a Tennessean Sunday Showcase. Since February 17, 1985 was a Sunday there is a small chance my father bought one and I may have looked through it myself back during my senior year of high school. I would have been disappointed that there was no notice that the Riverdale Warriors boys team had just finished the regular season with an undefeated 22-0 record. I would have been excited to see that WZTV was going to have a The Twilight Zone marathon though. It was one of those shows like Star Trek that my mother would often watch when I was much younger. I didn't enjoy either show much until I hit my teens and then I loved them. Years later I would discover that my mother mainly watched them thinking I would enjoy them, which was not unlike the twist ending both shows often used. 


I can't even play Perry Como!!!

I always wanted to go to the Nashville Flea Market hoping to find comic books and baseball cards during my elementary school days and then later I would have hoped to find cool books and records. I never did go to one though. If I did I certainly don't remember it. 


The Muppets were coming to Municipal Auditorium in March. I love the Muppets, but this show was aimed more at younger folks if the ad from a previous show is any indication.


The Muppet Show On Tour ad from 1984

Canadian singing legend Anne Murray would play to a sold out Grand Ole Opry House on Monday!


Anne Murray & Dave Loggins

The great General Public would be playing on the very next Sunday at Vandy's Memorial Gym!


General Public

KX 104FM was my favorite radio station in 7th grade. I had switched to Rock 106 by the time 8th grade ended, but that was short lived as Rock 106 changed formats to easy listening almost as soon as I found it on the dial. Then 103.3 KDF  became my main station until WRVU 91.1 increased their wattage in the summer of 1985. I don't recall KX 104FM changing their format from Contemporary Hit Radio to Rock Hit Radio at all, but they did for about a year until switching back to CHR. I wish I had tried listening to them then. The reason for the switch was that 96 Kiss and Y107 were killing in the ratings with beloved Nashville deejay Coyote McCloud even jumping ship to Y107. KX 104FM would eventually become a classic rock station before mutating into sports radio which is a fate worse than death.


Disc Jockey song Kicks Delight tune from 1979

Finally let's see what was the Top Ten Nashville pop songs for this week. I never liked "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner. While, I have mellowed out over the years, it's still painful treacle flavored angst to my ears. Philip Bailey's duet with Phil Collins "Easy Lover" was a banger that I still love. "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley is the best tune on this list. 


Easy Lover

The Boys of Summer

No comments: